PDA

View Full Version : Still going strong

wooglin
11/15/2007, 01:19 PM
Here it is four years later, and my TBS tank is still going strong. I still have my original cucumber, and lots of native life. Quite a few yellow and green sponges. Lots of low light life that lives under rocks and under my Montipora Caps that have created nice shaded areas on rock. Oh and the serpent stars!!!! They must multiply, I have about 20 or more, in all different colors and sizes.

It is great rock, that takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It should also be noted that my rock has survived a Kalwasser malfuntion that raised the PH to 12+ while I was out of town, killed all my fish save for the Engineer Goby, and the Clown Goby. Most of my corals survived that day, as well as the TBS life (with the exception of my beloved porcelin crabs, never have been able to replace them).

I am also happy to report that I have had a Mandarin Goby for going on one year now, fat and happy. That is one of the things I love the most about my TBS reef, the amount of different types of micro life that tends to exist when cared for properly. I have clouds of dot sized critters that live under every crevice in the tank. Pods that cover entire rocks. My refugium which is also filled with TBS nick nacks is a scary yet interesting collection of all kinds of unusual life.

Richard, thanks for introducing my family to TBS live rock four years ago, it has indeed been a good four years, and my family has enjoyed our piece of the ocean greatly.

Sincerely,

Alan Osborne (and family)

PS- I will try to follow up with some pictures soon.

conjuay
11/16/2007, 10:58 AM
I am considering ordering sand and rock from TBS, and it is reassuring to hear someone years later still raving about it.

I am concerned, however, about potential hitch hikers, -especially as I read more and more articles in favor of quarantining both new fish AND corals.

Besides the occasional mantis shrimp or gorilla crab, how did you determine you didn't have anything lurking that would start attacking your corals after they were introduced?

-Or am I simply paranoid?

wooglin
11/16/2007, 02:21 PM
Simply paranoid ( dont take it the wrong way, I was the same way for the first year or so I was in the hobby).

conjuay
11/16/2007, 04:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11196249#post11196249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wooglin
Simply paranoid
I appreciate the vote of confidence!

I thought about it all afternoon, and I'm ready. I'll be placing an order on the 20th or the 21st.

With my luck, I'll get all sorts of strange critters climbing around the rock... maybe even bits of Jimmy Hoffa, even...

Opps, being paranoid again!:p

wooglin
11/16/2007, 05:12 PM
Your Reef will do great, just be sure to keep plenty of SaltWater premixed and follow Richards instructions. It is a proven system, that really does build a lasting reef.

conjuay
11/16/2007, 06:07 PM
Well, thanks.
Dare I say it?
As far as keeping extra water:
I have been "COLLECTING" five gallon jugs from any place that is dumb enough to leave their empty "Primo" water jugs in an outside receptacle.
...And yes, "collecting" does mean "stealing", but MY tang deserves the BEST!!!

SPeter
11/17/2007, 02:25 PM
Well conjuay I cant say enough about Richard and TBS rock. The more I look the more hitch hikers I find. So far to date- 3 zebra striped Blenneys about 5 Gorilla Crabs ( I am trying to catch them as we speak ) 3 Mantis that made it into the tank & 4 that did not. I think I will try to feed the 3 in the tank and if I can catch them so be it. 1 really cool hitch hiker is a fish - it kinda looks like a Wrasse or a Blenny it is a little guy and very shy. It is black with a white stripe along its back and has 2 antennas like a blenny. Also if I can ever catch him out of the fuge it is a brown Octopus.
For the water changes I kept a 35 gal. rubbermaid trash container - New of course, full of salt water at tank temp and aerated plus 2- 5 gallon buckets of DI water to top off the tank ( I keep the tops off and get alot of evaporation ). I am still cautious as to adding anything to the tank as I fear that the Mantis or Gorilla crabs might eat them.

wooglin
11/17/2007, 07:39 PM
I have never had a mantis kill a fish. The type that come from Florida are really just snail and hermit crab killers. I keep a really nice one in my 24 gallon nano. It is by far one of my favorite critters.

conjuay
11/18/2007, 08:43 AM
I think I will just have to go over the rock real carefully when I get it.
I'm not usually this much of a whiner about these sorts of things, but the tank I am setting up is an acrylic, and has rather small openings for me to maneuver . Having to try to scoop anything out will be problematic.

So, I will put each piece in a tub, and with a turkey baster and a strong light, go hunting.

SPeter
11/18/2007, 09:03 AM
I already have fish in the tank. It is the corals and scallops the real tender stuff. BTW I had one of the mantis come up to me and take krill out of my hand as I was trying to feed the stars, that was kinda wild.
I assume that the Gorillas just eat the hermits and snails?
I have a little 20gal. that I put the nonreef friendly stuff in and I have a Gorilla that is the size of a silver dollar. I hand feed him krill also.
What a great hobby

H2OLUVSME
11/19/2007, 08:01 PM
wooglin,
Your 75 was one of my inspirations for getting TBS back 3 years ago or so. It was the best investment I ever made. I lost my reef last year to a fire, but am in the porocess of starting up again. I may be going the TBS route again. I really hope I can!

Get those pics up!

wooglin
11/20/2007, 08:55 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2051797010_ea3551dffb_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2303/2051012457_b25879ed6f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2377/2051011727_6819cbf67b_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2347/2051009985_f675e4c567_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2051795280_5dba79fa19_b.jpg

conjuay
11/21/2007, 05:36 AM
simply stunning!

I'm driving to Tampa today