PDA

View Full Version : vortec controller; what does it do?

tylorarm
11/15/2007, 04:27 PM
Hi, just trying to decide whether or not to replace my two Tunze 6100s and controller with two Vortecs. I've read a bunch of threads but still confused. I like the Tunze's pulse and sequencial modes and night differential. However, i'd like the vortec's wide flow pattern. What are the new vortec controllers (one per unit i understand) capable of doing for me? I've heard something about crest and lagoon modes, but they sounded kind of lame. What am i missing?

IPT
11/15/2007, 04:49 PM
I just set mine up last night. Lagoon is probably too mellow. Tried Crest mode but didn't see anything going on (probably something I'm doing I think it is suppossed to be random fluctuations of current). The pulsed mode is cool. You can set up the flow rate and then use a dial to adjust the on/off time. Of course you can keep it constant too. With two units you can do a lot more. I have seen videos on RC of people synching them to create waves within the tank.

tylorarm
11/15/2007, 05:17 PM
I'm interested in how the two units can be coordinated. Is the pulsed mode similar to the Tunze's pulse mode? If you have two powerheads opposed do they coordinate pulses? I'm not that fond of pure random. Sequential with Tunze alternates modes, does the vortec do this? Also, are the controllers included with the powerhead? or are they seperate units?

tylorarm
11/15/2007, 05:36 PM
Ah, from Ecotech Marine website:

Reef Crest Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary from one speed to another rapidly to simulate the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.

Lagoon Random Mode- set the potentiometer to your maximum desired speed and the VorTech Wireless Wave Driver automatically randomizes the flow throughout your tank. The pump will vary slowly from one speed to another to simulate a calmer, lagoonal reef environment.

Synch Pulse Mode- When entered into Synch Pulse Mode, pumps will automatically synch with the master pump to provide pulsing flow throughout the aquarium. The potentiometer is used to adjust the maximum speed and then is used to adjust the frequency. The minimum speed is automatically set to the minimum pump speed to create as strong a pulse as you desire. Other pumps can be placed on the same side of the aquarium as the master pump to create standing waves in your tank.

Anti-Synch Pulse Mode- When entered into Anti-Synch Pulse Mode, pumps will operate inverse to the master pump. Therefor, everytime the master pump is at the maximum speed of the pulse cycle, the slave pumps entered into Anti-Synch Pulse Mode will be at the minimum speed of the pulse cycle, and vice-versa. Place these pumps on the opposite side of the tank as a master pump to create tidal currents within your aquarium.

Joe
11/15/2007, 07:33 PM
"Also, are the controllers included with the powerhead? or are they seperate units?"

The controllers are included with each powerhead. If you get these, make sure you get the MP-40W, as this is the "wireless wave device". The MP-40 is the older model, and some places are still selling them. These won't be made any longer. I have two of the new MP-40W Vortechs, and love the pulse, anti-synch mode. I have a nice wave in my 120 Tech. It fluctuates about one inch, side to side, in my tank.
"Wireless" only means multiple controllers can be programmed to communicate with each other wirelessly. Each power head still has wires to its' controller.

Joe

recife111
11/15/2007, 07:52 PM
keep the streams, the vortec is prettty much the same, as mentioned it is not really wireless and the tunze controller is pretty much the same and it does have a moon light which the vortech does not have.

The vortec pumps are very loud

Joe
11/15/2007, 08:01 PM
"The vortec pumps are very loud"

Mine are very quiet.......even when pulsing.

Joe

ReefRockerLive
11/15/2007, 09:16 PM
recife111, you may want to get your vortech fixed if it is being loud.

burton14e7
11/15/2007, 10:55 PM
My Vortech is silent

IPT
11/16/2007, 03:10 AM
My Vortech is not silent, but I would not say it's loud either. Low hum like a fridge but quieter. Most noticable on Pulse esp at high flow rates. I purposly moved the alignment to see if that was it and it's not, it's the motor. It's not lound, but it isn't slient either. I also just set it up so maybe there is a break in. I really do love the flow though and pulse.

rxinc
11/16/2007, 03:13 AM
The vortec pumps are very loud

Slight hum close by, definately not noisy if working properly.

I have two of the orig. mp 40's - one on each end of a 220, received the wireless drivers from marine depot yesterday, can't wait to try the anti- sync mode.