PDA

View Full Version : Post Red Bug Treatment

chrismhaase
11/15/2007, 04:41 PM
I just got done with my 3rd treatment of Inteceptor for a possible infection of Red Bugs. I was notified I might have gotten a frag with them, and noticed a few frags with decrease color and lack of PE. Since then colors have improved as well as color. So I think if it wasn't a full blown case it was still probably a little problem.

Questions;

1. My pods are all dead and not noticeable after the lights go out. Is the best way to reintroduce them with new live rock and cheato? Any other ideas?

2. I am getting a brown algae or diatom bloom on my sand bed. I am assuming this is due to the death of critters and their lack of cleaning ability. Will the answer to #1 help? I have done multiple 20% water changes and also siphoned out what I could get. Any other suggestions? PS- I have a phospahte reactor sunning as well as carbon.

Thanks,

Chris H

fishdoc11
11/15/2007, 05:19 PM
The pods should come back in fairly short order. It typically takes a month or two for them to start showing up again.....assuming you didn't use a whopping dose. The diatom bloom should subside as well. I didn't get one when I treated but it's a fairly common occurrence.
hth, Chris

chrismhaase
11/15/2007, 10:51 PM
thanks man. I found a few wondering tonight after the lights went out. So I guess it is just time to wait for them to reproduce.

mesquite
11/16/2007, 06:50 AM
I got brown algea bloom after my first treatment. Even after 2 water change it is still there.

chrismhaase
11/16/2007, 12:19 PM
I just ordered a bunch of snails and crabs so hopefully the new cleanup crew should help.

flyyyguy
11/16/2007, 12:30 PM
point to ponder:

Is it just me, or does anybody else think that adding macroalgae from someone elses tank to get back the pods you killed getting rid of red bugs is a really, really, really, really bad idea??

chrismhaase
11/16/2007, 01:15 PM
I guess you take the risk of adding RB again since they can be free floaters. What happens when you buy live rock, live sand and so on that you can not treat with Interceptor? This was something I was thinking also.

I guess if you had a reliable source that you trusted that would at least minimize the liability.