PDA

View Full Version : stupid question (leak testing)

dsn112
11/15/2007, 07:00 PM
This question seems even dumb to me, but here goes:

I want leak test my new tank. There is a small chip on the class in the rear corner. It should be fine since the corners are sealed, but anyway the tank has an overflow.

When I fill it, won't the water flow out of the bottom?

Like I said I'm sure this question is dumb, but its my first built in overflow tank.

Thanks
Dave

needlepimp
11/15/2007, 07:05 PM
just plug the hole or just don't fill it up past the overflow

Bandsaw
11/15/2007, 07:05 PM
I'm assuming your tank is bottom drilled? If so, you likely have walls around the drilled holes up to the top of the tank where there is a weir (teeth). This makes up your internal overflow. About the best that I can explain it.

Just don't fill your tank above the bottom of the weir and you won't get any water coming out of the overflow.

How far up from the bottom is the chip?

dsn112
11/15/2007, 07:12 PM
my tank is bottom drilled, however it is the oceanic ultimate, and it has holes at bottom, middle, and top

Playa-1
11/15/2007, 09:38 PM
The water should fill the tank to the top of the overflow before it spills into the overflow and start to leak out the hole in the bottom of the tank. If it doesn't fill to the top of the overflow first then you have a bad seal around the overflow.

usmc121581
11/15/2007, 09:40 PM
There is an inner wall that makes the water from those middle and bottom holes go to the top of the over flow to.

poppin_fresh
11/15/2007, 09:47 PM
Go ahead and fill it! The overflow wont work until the tank is almost full. Even though there is slits in the bottom middle and top, the overflow is 2 pieces and the back part is solid all the way to the top. Remember, its an overflow, not a drain.

Probably not the clearest explanation, but as you fill it you will see what I mean.

dsn112
11/16/2007, 09:57 AM
makes sense! I wasn't quite sure that that was how it worked. This is why I stated stupid question..lol

purza_00
11/16/2007, 10:14 AM
Couldn't hurt to install the standpipes or plug the holes as a secondary measure against leaks. By the way, not a dumb question at all.