PDA

View Full Version : POLL- How do YOU Rate? Please Read BEFORE Polling!!!

Insane Reefer
11/16/2007, 12:38 AM
Not looking for discussion, just want to get an idea of how consistent and diligent people are in this hobby. Almost every "expert", in almost every book or article I've read about the subject, agrees that the more consistent one is in following these practices, the more successful the average hobbyist generally will be.

Basically, it is important to practice good reef-keeping habits and I think most hobbyists agree - but sometimes agreeing and doing are two different things.

I'm trying to find out how different...

Try to be brutally honest with yourself - if you lapse (even for a short while), then you lapse, and that isn't consistent. If you have to use words like "fairly" or "nearly" or "almost", again this doesn't sound like diligence. See where I am going with this?

I wouldn't feel bad if you rate somewhere in the middle, even a lot of really successful hobbyists probably won't rate much higher then 7 - if you scored a 10 then you should really think about entering the field of marine biology - you have the beginnings of a great scientist :)

I'll be the first voter, and you'll see I don't rate so well :rolleyes:

Good Luck and Thanks!

P.S. I know there are many other important practices not mentioned here, this was meant to hit what seems to be the 10 most commonly agreed on practices to ensure success.

INSTRUCTIONS
There are 10 questions. Read each question and answer Yes or No. Try to be absolutely honest, ok?

For each Yes answer, give yourself a point. Add your points up when you are done and Vote for the number of yes answers you had.

Do you always wash your hands (or wear CLEAN full length gloves) before working in your tank (and as much of your arm as you think will enter the water)

Do you practice a hands out approach (or do you stick your hands in the tank all the time, moving this, tweaking that, etc)

Do you wash your equipment each time you finish using them (test tube, buckets, mixing devices, pokers, syringes)

Do you change your water regularly (not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

Do you stick with your chosen in-reef products (or try new stuff quite frequently)

Are you precise with your dosing chemicals (either you are or you aren't - "experience" isn't a substitute for precision)

Are you regular with your testing procedures (again not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

Do you quarantine all new acquisitions (simple yes or no)

Do you regularly change your filter medias and clean in-tank equipment (again not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

Do you always research organism particulars before making a purchase (do you make spurious or impulse purchases or do you actually find out what that organism needs to survive, by consulting a trusted source, before bringing it home - if you researched it after you brought it home, it doesn't count)

airinhere
11/16/2007, 12:55 AM
I do not always quarantine. Sometimes it just isnt practicval to do. (I tend to buy boxes of stuff at a time). And I never wash my hands before putting them in my tanks. But I always wash afterwards. Although I try to keep myself clean so I dont have to worry about my hands being in my tank. If I have to work on my car, I might have to wash three times before I am confident my hands are clean enough to put in my tanks.
Other than that, I am like clockwork with maintenance and testing. And I dont like to change things in my tanks. I have a very strong hands off policy. Unless something has to be moved to keep it alive. I even planned out my stocking choices long ago. Now its just a matter of filling my tanks.

HBtank
11/16/2007, 01:07 AM
Do you always wash your hands (or wear CLEAN full length gloves) before working in your tank (and as much of your arm as you think will enter the water)

Yes, with as hot of water as I can stand up to my elbows, two times.

Do you practice a hands out approach (or do you stick your hands in the tank all the time, moving this, tweaking that, etc)

Unless it is critical or my tongs can't do it. Things that need hand dexterity and do not need immediate attention I keep track of and then do all at once

Do you wash your equipment each time you finish using them (test tube, buckets, mixing devices, pokers, syringes)

yes and no. I really do not see a need for tongs or other things that are just in tank or mixed water. THings that touch food or testing equipment get washed in tap or ro/di. I wash containers out frequently, but not every single use. But then it depends on its use..

Do you change your water regularly (not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

yes. I have never had a long lapse..

Do you stick with your chosen in-reef products (or try new stuff quite frequently)

I am pretty loyal. i feel i made good choices to start and like consistancy.

Are you precise with your dosing chemicals (either you are or you aren't - "experience" isn't a substitute for precision)

My doser is pretty accurate. I tested, measured and dosed daily by hand for one-two weeks before setting it.

Are you regular with your testing procedures (again not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

Hard one. I have definately lowered the frequency over time, but planned on doing so. So from one standpoint I am as I expected , but also not consistant over tiem. Getting to know your tank and equipment really factors in here..

Do you quarantine all new acquisitions (simple yes or no)

No.

Do you regularly change your filter medias and clean in-tank equipment (again not concerned with frequency - looking for consistency in your selected schedule)

Yes. Change PO4 media once a month, clean pumps once every three.

Do you always research organism particulars before making a purchase (do you make spurious or impulse purchases or do you actually find out what that organism needs to survive before bringing it home - if you researched it after you brought it home, it doesn't count)

I always know the basic requirements and if I am capable of keeping it before purchasing. When it comes to the finer needs, such as slight preferences in flow/light in acros, I will research more thouroughly one purchased. For me this is part of the fun. I think people have different definitions of "research" too. Not much I do not know the basics of at this point..

wrott
11/16/2007, 01:19 AM
I don't quarantine=9
And oh yeah, washing things between use will cause more detriment than just rinsing them or not.
This seems like a really unexperienced/stupid poll. Sorry if truth hurts you.

Chef Reef
11/16/2007, 02:03 AM
i got a 9. only thing i dont do is quarantine. i really should though.

USC-fan
11/16/2007, 07:15 AM
1. no
2. yes
3. no
4. yes
5 no
6 no
7 yes
8 no
9 no
10 no

3 :D

Insane Reefer
11/16/2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for polling :)

Insane Reefer
11/16/2007, 10:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11193359#post11193359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrott
I don't quarantine=9
And oh yeah, washing things between use will cause more detriment than just rinsing them or not.
This seems like a really unexperienced/stupid poll. Sorry if truth hurts you.

No - no hurt feelings :p

Wash-Clean-Rinse=Not using dirty equipment
Sorry if I chose a word not exact enough for your preference.
I'll ask a Mod to change it, since too much time has passed.

Would like to ask how you arrived at 9 though - you say you don't quarantine (so -1 point) and go on to say that "washing" things between each use is "more detrimental".

SO does this mean that even thought you "know" it is worse to "wash" stuff, you do it anyway (score would be 9), or did you misrepresent in the poll (lose another point for a No answer - score would be 8)?

Wouldn't it be stupid to do something you know is "bad"?
Wouldn't it be lying if you misrepresented?
:D

wrott
11/16/2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry, you got me, I lied.