PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Venturi Problem

jcarson999
11/16/2007, 05:49 AM
I've been breaking in my new Octopus skimmer, the model with 3 recirculating pumps. I'm running it external, and last night I raised the water level so that the bubbles forming in the neck were closer to breaking over into the collection cup. I came back later to find a puddle on the floor - the water was coming up all of the venturi air lines and dripping steadily out onto the floor.

I don't understand how water could come up these lines in the first place - the venturi creates a vaccuum that sucks air in, how can water go up it? But more importantly, I don't know what to do about it.

How do I fix this?

Thx,
-jim

glxtrix
11/16/2007, 05:51 AM
dont know if it'll have anything to do with it, but is your skimmer lower than the water level in your sump? You might also try adding some longer tubing to the venturis and raising them higher.

jcarson999
11/16/2007, 08:50 AM
The skimmer is higher than the water level in the sump. Also, I'm running an Octo under my 65g in the sump and it doesn't matter if the venturi air silencer is bent over - no water comes out of it.

Thx,
-jim

luke33
11/16/2007, 09:33 AM
If you are keeping your air lines below the water level this can happen. You need your air lines above the water level and this won't happen. To much backpressure from the skimmer water volume. If you have them below the waterlevel in your skimmer and power goes out.......it'll be even worst. Those pump's aren't sucking a ton of air either. I'd boar out teh venturi and elbo's along with meshing them out and i don't think this will happen anymore.

luke33
11/16/2007, 09:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11194253#post11194253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcarson999
The skimmer is higher than the water level in the sump. Also, I'm running an Octo under my 65g in the sump and it doesn't matter if the venturi air silencer is bent over - no water comes out of it.

Thx,
-jim

FWIW, there's much more backpressure in the larger octo. What works for one may not for another.

jcarson999
11/17/2007, 07:25 AM
Ok. Thanks for the info.

-jim