PDA

View Full Version : Where to drill a tank?

nayotte
11/16/2007, 09:04 AM
Would you rather have a tank drilled in the bottom with the "in tank" overflow or drilled in the back wall of the tank?

I'm buying a 180 drilled. The standard is drilled in the bottom with the black plastic overflow which I'm not crazy about due to loss of space in the tank. I have seen people drill the back wall of the tank and install a drain there. Before I buy I would like to hear from people that have had both or either of these types of drilled tanks.

jimroth
11/16/2007, 09:52 AM
My new (210G) tank is only drilled at the top of the back. I feel it limits the amount of water that can ultimately get onto the floor. It will probably end up siphoning itself dry just to show me.
The advantage of holes in the bottom is you can put it closer to the wall, and still route water to and from the sump inside the stand. I ran a "normal" reef-ready tank for 6+ years and never had a failure, so I think you can go either way. I want my new tank far enough from the wall that I can get a vacuum cleaner hose back there. It was really gross behind my last tank!

Chibils
11/16/2007, 09:58 AM
Most people drill the back for aesthetic reasons (big plastic box in the middle of the tank), for cost, or because it takes up space.

LobsterOfJustice
11/16/2007, 10:12 AM
I had the type with the drilled bottom and overflow and hated it. It took up too much space and could not be scraped clean. I switched to a tank with holes drilled in the upper back corners, and put an upturned elbow in the tank. I like this way much better, I would never switch back.

nayotte
11/16/2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. The idea of a tank with holes in the bottom scares me a bit say if a leak develops. Guess you would notice 180 gallon leak.

Those that have tanks drilled on the back wall...two questions. Where to place the holes? And, anyone have drilled holes for return lines as well?

nayotte
11/16/2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Those that have tanks drilled on the back wall...two questions. Where to place the holes? And, anyone have drilled holes for return lines as well?

LobsterOfJustice
11/16/2007, 01:12 PM
You can put the hole wherever you want... just place it so what when you put an elbow on the inside of the tank, the water level is about correct. It will depend on the size plumbing you use, and even the specific elbow (they have different dimensions if you get them different places).

I dont think there is any need to drill the return line. Just have it go up and over the side. It gives you more options for placement, and you can use seaswirls, etc. Remember, the tank will drain to the return height when the pump is shut off, so if you drill the return, your tank will empty to the water line of the return hole. Another reason to have the return over the side in my opinion.

drudude
11/17/2007, 09:39 AM
Hi guys chimming in here,
So you want to drill the holes in the back and attach a 90degree elbow, you want to drill so that the top of the elbow is1/2" below the rim or farther from the top?