PDA

View Full Version : supplements

rmiga13
11/16/2007, 03:08 PM
What kinds of supplements do you all add to your reef tanks? Im trying to figure out why im seeing hardly little to no growth on any of my corals!

rigleautomotive
11/16/2007, 03:25 PM
maintain alk and calcium with a balanced additive,such as two part or kalk and for soft corals i like seachem reefplus amino acid supplement.i am not sure why i get good results with it but i know it makes my soft corals extend polyps farther and color up better than when i use nothing.also softies like some food substance regularly to keep growing at a good rate.but truthfully it all comes down to water quality and i know of nothing that helps a tank that is not doing great as frequent water changes with rodi water and a quality salt mix.also if you give us your parameters it will help people know how to help.hope this helps.

Aquarist007
11/20/2007, 12:17 PM
I agree with maintaining calcium, alk and magnesium levels.
First measure---
alk around 10 dkh
calcium 400-450
magnesium 1300(it allows you to keep a higher calcium level without it precipitating out.

2 part b-ionics is probably the easist to maintain levels at a constant amount but to raise alk I would use Kent super dKh and to raise calcium I would use kent turbo calcium.

regular waster changes will cover any of the trace elements

feed your coral zooplankton---cylopeeze(comes in a frozen stick)two or three times a week and that's all they will need.
Very few corals benifit from phytoplankton so you can save your money and keep your water clearer

my corals really took off after I add a refugium for producing inverts, copods etc.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/IMG_4527.jpg