PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank... advice, setup, etc.

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/16/2007, 04:45 PM
I really would like to get some Tangs in my tank that will actually live and thrive. And a QT is probably really important... among other tank additions.

I've read about how they're inline sometimes, separate setups, and I just read recently how somebody said they used a Filtered Sponge? in a small tank of water that provided bacteria. I wanted to know more about that one of course. I'm really reluctant to create a whole other setup just for this. I guess I could do something really small that is inline with the sump too. With that room I could maybe make a QT that doubles as a water holding tank too for evaporation?

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/18/2007, 09:12 AM
I had another thought. Why can't a QT just be a tank/trash can/etc. anything... that can hold 10-20 gal of tank water? No lights, no filtration. As long as there's enough water in there so waste doesn't build up too fast, enough oxygen, etc... all you should have to do then is just keep siphoning out the old water and put a fresh 10-20 gal in every day?? I know... with a very crude simple filtration system I could probably get by with that and save the trouble. But I'm not sure exactly what what I would need for that setup at minimum. The other way I don't need anything but a holding area. I just don't have room anywhere for another small setup that would be used very rarely.

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/18/2007, 01:38 PM
QT article (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php#a) from ReefKeeping. I'm reading that now. Boy... :eek2:

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/19/2007, 10:35 AM
I read another RC article about QT'n too. Talked about all the diff. methods. It all sounds like a major PIA.

I was thinking... I was reading the QT procedure at Diver's Den.. they downplayed and don't use the hyposalinity method but do use a whole lot of other methods. But that's besides the point. I was thinking if they are QT'n everything for you then you should be ok They have such exhaustive methods... and I trust them altho it's still a big risk to infect your tank. I do NOT trust other places. There's no way other places, that I know of (have to check Sharkey's Reef), QT stuff for weeks. Especially LFS. I feel stupid now for not only putting stuff in my tank from there.. but allowing even a teeny tiny amount of that water in my tank too.

So for now on unless I do a major QT procedure I'm not buying livestock from LFS anymore. Unless somebody has more info I think I trust Diver's Den personally. Sure does save me a lot of time too.

I also should mention my personal experience altho anecdotal. For the past... 5-6 years I've put a lot of stuff in my tank. I've never done QT on anything. I have done good acclimation, lights out, live brine and garlic to stimulate feeding, etc. I've never had any problems with diseases or pests.. I think I was lucky. I did go to a few shadey looking LFS too. The only problem I have ever had was with Tangs and ich. I'm gonna try getting them from Diver's Den next time and see how it goes.