PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe triggers

SimilanRocks
11/16/2007, 07:02 PM
I always wanted to have a trigger. I have mixed reef tank. What are tiggers that reef safe?

LukFox
11/16/2007, 07:30 PM
Triggers in the Xanthichthys genus are as reef safe as triggers get. This includes blue throats, crosshatches, sargassums, gold backs, etc.

Some also report success with pinktails and nigers, but these are more hit and miss. Some can be very aggressive and even nip corals, while others can be perfect tank mates and touch not a thing.

SimilanRocks
11/16/2007, 08:06 PM
So it's similar to getting angles in reef tank.

How many gallons is the minimum for a tigger?

scoutmaniak
11/16/2007, 08:41 PM
I have a pair of blue thoats in a 100g reef. I have a small island in the middle of the tank so there is alot of swimming area. The male is around 8 inches and the female is around 9, and both look happy and not cramped. The tank is 5 foot long. Just be ready for the mess they make...they are messy eaters, and love to eat, lol.

Hormigaquatica
11/16/2007, 09:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11198546#post11198546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SimilanRocks

Xanthichthys species are kind of like Genicanthus angels- planktivores with no interest in anything sessile. The only real danger they pose is to shrimp. They will, however, harass other fish sometimes- theyre still triggers.

A lot of people claim Pink Tail, Niger, and even Picasso triggers are reef safe, but Ive never seen a Adult of either species that actually behaved itself in a reef. Juvies of many trigger species are relatively even tempered, but outgrow that sooner or later. The Xanthichthys are a little more expensive than these triggers, but its worth the security.

For tank size, I would say 100g+. You might get away with a single Bluethroat in a 75 or so for a while, but it would outgrow the tank eventually.

SimilanRocks
11/17/2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks, good info. That's why the crosshatch is more expensive.

mcliffy2
11/17/2007, 09:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11198546#post11198546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SimilanRocks

For Niger and Pinktails yes, but I dont think this is a good comparison for Xanthichthys - I have never heard of them harming corals. I have a 6" sargassum and he doesn't harm a thing, even my peppermint shrimp.

You should be aware of their bioload, they need daily feeding and are messy eaters. If you are keeping them with SPS this puts an emphasis on having a good skimmer and good husbandry to keep your nitrates and phosphates down.

mcliffy2
11/17/2007, 09:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11200035#post11200035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SimilanRocks
Thanks, good info. That's why the crosshatch is more expensive.

If you are worried about cost, look into the blue throat (sometimes called blue jaw), they usually dont run more than 60-70, look really cool, and are just as reef safe as the crosshatch (although a male crosshatch is pretty spectacular).

Capt_Cully
11/17/2007, 09:32 AM
Got a pink tail. It nips at corals, mostly monti caps, but it has taken chunks out of even my blue tort. Not Cool. BUT, it all depends on what you can live with. I think the fish is so beautiful (I've even had the opportunity to swim with them in the wild in Hawaii), that i'd never trade him in.

kar93
11/17/2007, 04:32 PM
most people have more succes keeping blue triggers in reefs because they are the least agressive

bradleyj
11/17/2007, 09:22 PM
My female crosshatch was one of my first fish introduced to my 225g and she has never bothered anyone, she gets along great with all of my fish and my 4 cleaner shrimp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/225%20g%20%20reef/100_5644.jpg

rcerulli
11/18/2007, 10:28 AM
Pink tail here, model citizen, doesnt nip at anything... BUT MY FINGERS! Yes my pink tail thought my finger was food and bit it, man did it hurt. Anyways heres some pics.

http://robbiered.homelinux.org/uploader/files/1/trigandemp.JPG