PDA

View Full Version : socket problem MH won't stay on

CJ
11/17/2007, 04:58 AM
I have a PFO acrolight with 150W DE bulbs. I recently changed my bulb and replaced them with 14K Phoenix bulbs. I just love these bulbs, when they are on!!!

After speaking with Hellolights I found out these bulbs are almost 1mm shorter than the Ushios I was using. The bulb goes out on me after a few weeks of use. After fiddling and fiddling I get it to go back on and a few weeks later same thing it just goes out. I think there is a poor contact with the socket. Problem is I can't adjust the sockets to be closer together.

My question, is there anything I can do such as stretching the spring, which could help without destroying the socket? I'd love to be able to replace the sockets but the unit is one of the first ones PFO made and they can't tell me what socket to buy.

Any ideas? Thanks

BeanAnimal
11/17/2007, 06:54 AM
You may want to try stretching the spring. If they bulb is not making good contact you run the risk of arcing and a fire!

CJ
11/17/2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I'll try it if you're sure it can't harm the alignment in the socket.

BeanAnimal
11/17/2007, 01:42 PM
The springs just provide pressure to the contact pins. The ceramic is what aligns the bulbs. The key is that the contact pins make solid contact with the bulb contacts.

CJ
11/17/2007, 06:42 PM
Yep, and they don't right now. Thanks again. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.

CJ
11/18/2007, 11:38 AM
Well, I couldn't get it to work and fiddling with the fixture messed up the left one. I got it to fire again after a lot of hassle. I don't know what gives.