PDA

View Full Version : Question about GFCI

gopens
11/17/2007, 02:50 PM
I have been running my tank of a normal plug outlet. i have decided to change out the regular outlet and install a GFCI receptacle. Is this a tuff job. I have always been nervous when dealing with electricity. The guy at my local hardware store told me its no tuff at all. can anybody chime in with there experiences if any. also do you even think a GFCI is needed. Thanks

docjones
11/17/2007, 02:56 PM
I would highly recommend one for safety. As for installation it is simple. Just make sure you know what breaker it is on and turn it off before you do it, that way you wont shock yourself. If it is installed incorrectly it will trip and USUALLY not let you reset it. Hope this helps.

gopens
11/17/2007, 03:09 PM
thanks. i just don't want to burn down my house.

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 03:26 PM
Black wire to Brass screws.. White to silver screws.

Normally there should be 6 wires in the box. 2 Black, 2 White, 2 Ground (Goes to green screw).

There are 2 spots on the gfci.. LINE, LOAD. Connect all the wires to the LINE side. This way only your fish tank is protected. If you connected anything to the load side, all other outlets down the chain will be gfci protected. Which is unnecessary. Also By connecting to the LINE side only, it saves you the step of figuring out which wires come from the panel, and which feed other outlets.

gopens
11/17/2007, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11203058#post11203058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pmolan
Black wire to Brass screws.. White to silver screws.

Normally there should be 6 wires in the box. 2 Black, 2 White, 2 Ground (Goes to green screw).

There are 2 spots on the gfci.. LINE, LOAD. Connect all the wires to the LINE side. This way only your fish tank is protected. If you connected anything to the load side, all other outlets down the chain will be gfci protected. Which is unnecessary. Also By connecting to the LINE side only, it saves you the step of figuring out which wires come from the panel, and which feed other outlets.

I got to be honest... you just confused the hell out of me. lol
I hope its easier than that. so are you saying to not used anything on the load side? thanks

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 03:44 PM
Basically all you need is the Line side. The Load side is to protect all of the outlets around your sink for instance. The 1st outlet is the gfci and the rest are on the load side. So if one causes it to trip, they all shut off.

gopens
11/17/2007, 04:20 PM
well right off the bat i run into trouble. i turned off the power and unscrewed the old receptacle. i went to remove the wires from the old receptacle, but they will not come out of the holes. even when i have completly removed the screws. i even broke one wire trying to get it out. should i just cut all the wires at the base of the receptacle and strip them and use that. please help.

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 04:51 PM
there is a little slot by the holes that you stick a small screwdriver into to release the wire.

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 04:52 PM
If you are going to cut the wires and restrip them.. The new recepticle has a little diagram on it to show you how much to strip off.

gopens
11/17/2007, 04:53 PM
ok well i am done. i went ahead and just cliped the wires off of the old unit and striped them and put them on the new unit. after adding all the wires i installed the unit into the wall and fiped the bracker back on. after doing this there was power. so i think i did it correctly. when i hit the test button, it loses power. and when i hit the reset button power is restored. sounds good i think. also i only added wires to the line side and did nothing with the load side. i didn't even remove the tape that was on the load side. is that ok. thanks and i am going to wait until i hear back from somebody here saying it sounds good. thanks for the help all.

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 04:58 PM
That sounds perfect.. congratulations. Also you can pick up an outlet tester at HD with a gfci button on it. When you plug it in, the lights tell you if it is wired correctly. You hit the little button on the tester to see if the outlet trips.

gopens
11/17/2007, 05:02 PM
thanks for the help Pmolan and others

LobsterOfJustice
11/17/2007, 05:06 PM
Sounds like you got it figured out, but if you are scared of rewiring like I am, you can pick up plug-in GFCIs at home depot/lowes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/100_1374.jpg

gopens
11/17/2007, 05:14 PM
wow i wish i would of known they made those things. but its done now. that does look like a cool unit.

dickhordishay
11/17/2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I installed one with the electricity still on. Underneath my aquarium and through the cabinet. With hands still wet from saltwater.

I couldn't get to the breaker cause my neighbor wasn't home (breaker in his basement (duplex)).

Well, I tried to be careful but knew what was going to happen -zzzzzzzzzzzz. Kind of hurt.

Roy G. Biv
11/17/2007, 06:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11203651#post11203651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dickhordishay
Yeah, I installed one with the electricity still on.

How else do you tell which wire comes from the panel? :eek1: