PDA

View Full Version : SPS be saved?

atlfishes
11/18/2007, 09:46 PM
I had a heater accident where temp was in the 90s for a short period. SPS (montipora) has started to bleach after a week. Should I break off the pieces that aren't bleached or is the whole piece eventually going to die? Thanks

twon8
11/18/2007, 09:51 PM
i would let it be, if conditions have improved it has a good chance of recovery

chads 385
11/26/2007, 10:28 PM
Dont let the white part grow alge.

atlfishes
11/27/2007, 08:09 AM
thanks

chadfarmer
11/27/2007, 09:48 PM
give it time

Jester
11/28/2007, 10:16 AM
sorry to jump on your thread... what happens if the white part grows algea..?? I've had some problems with my tank and had similar things happen... most of my motiporaras look like they are starting to growing back over the bad areas, except my digitata, it has just branched out off the bleached places, but it does look like some algea has grown on those places...

knowcrap
11/28/2007, 03:44 PM
Jester - this is quite common on dead areas of a coral (which is always sad to see) as there is nothing to prevent algae from growing on it anymore.

I have had this happen a few times and I just leave it alone, if the coral is healthy again it should just grow and may even encrust over that part...specifically I had a wild colony take an abismal dive and saved parts by cutting above the RTN'd base...some of the frag bases RTN's a pinch more and eventually had some algae growth on them but as of today they are re-encrusting down over those dead parts (and the algae is going away).

I am of the less is more camp though and let nature take its course...most of the time.