PDA

View Full Version : fish options

bethkira2000
11/19/2007, 07:17 AM
Okay now I need help on which fish I should get for my tank. I would also love a beefed up cleaner crew, since there are no pumps or filters in this tank. I have live rock and sand, and thought of clownfish, a pair would be the only thing I really want.

Jocephus
11/19/2007, 08:02 AM
You should get pumps and filters. Tell us about your setup. How do you have water movement?

cowboyswife
11/19/2007, 08:44 AM
You have no filtration? No skimmer?

jadeguppy
11/19/2007, 08:54 AM
What size tank? Any powerheads? Your signature says that this is a new tank and your first sw. Has it cycled? Also, sw tanks need a much larger amount of water circulation than fw do.

bethkira2000
11/19/2007, 09:45 AM
I know and I will have powerheads with a turnover rate of 550gph. And It is a 55g, and It will have bio filtration. I am not setting it up today, but I need all the plans in order, so I can have to perfect fish,.

steven_dean17
11/19/2007, 01:40 PM
I wouldnt have the nerve to start off this way. I would be interested in seeing how your way works out though. Who knows, a fresh idea is always nice.

bethkira2000
11/19/2007, 03:14 PM
why do you think I need all the sumps and filters and such?

Zestay
11/19/2007, 03:22 PM
your going to need a protien skimmer at the least. and remember the rule of thumb is for every "inch" of fish you have you need 3-5 gallons.
this rule isint set in stone but its very very wise to follow it on your first tank so you dont over populate it. you can add more fish later
for your 55 gallon tank. i think a clown fish or 2 would make great first fish. .. clown fish to avoid. maroons. ( they get mean ) and tomatoes can be mean when they get older, id get either true percs or false percs.. ( a. oscallios i cant spell that word ) so a 55 gallon tank can house about 11 - 16 inchs of fish in its first 6 months of life.
dont add more than 1 fish a week ( exception would be the pair of clown fish ) and a clown fish is a 3 inch fish .. even if its only 1 inch long when you get it...
just my begininers advice to yah. start slow =)

TAF
11/19/2007, 03:26 PM
Mine is only a 12 gallon little thing, but I planted some macro algae and such in it and have just a pump that skims off the top and filters through two chunks of sponge filter then blows out at the bottom of the tank.

I think with some plants/macros planted in tank, that a 55 could be done the same way with great results.

(But then again, I am new and don't know much.)

Zestay
11/19/2007, 03:27 PM
well yes it could be done. but with the bio load a 55 gallon tank would have the water changes would be the main source of filtration.

TAF
11/19/2007, 03:57 PM
Er... maybe I really am doing all this wrong, but my goal in saltwater is the same as my freshwater goal.....

Balance.

I have to dose a few addatives to keep trace elements up, and trim out calurpa about once every few weeks, but I have only done one water change in 3 months on my little salty... and that was to move the tank.

I think the idea is to get enough macros/plants to filter the water for you.

Zestay
11/19/2007, 04:32 PM
well water changes are still very important as they replenish the water with trace elements ( more so than just dosing ) remove nitrites and im sure theres more benefits that i cant even list here.

bethkira2000
11/20/2007, 09:33 AM
Okay so say I put in a pair of nemo's, I would like a top notch clean up crew, plus I think they will add a little something. In the long run say after 6 months or so what else would bring color and be perfect in the tank?

Zestay
11/20/2007, 12:07 PM
a pair of nemos is going to look pretty empty in a 55 gallon tank.
here are a few good starter fish.

with a 55 gallon tank. please refrain from buying any TANGS
they need more room to swim than a 55 has to offer. not being a tang police guy but think of the fish. the smallest tang according to reef central requires 75 gallons. and the largest tang upwards of 200 gallons. now that thats said

2 clown fish ( 20 bux each )
3 green chromies ( 10 bux each
a starry blenny ( 15 - 20
a diamond back gobi ( great sand cleaner ) 18 - 22 dollars
a 6 line wrase ( 14 - 20

these fish are all awesome fish imho, great starter fish , and look cool! most diamond gobies are very very active fish. the chromies are a schooling fish so they will stick together and are swimmers.. they dont just " hang out " they activly swim the tank. the blenny is a " hang out " fish but he also mows down algae. the 6 line wrasse is an active hunter ( but hes small ) and pecks away at unwanter crustations all day.