PDA

View Full Version : 210g, going from reef to FOWLR.

coryjac0b
11/19/2007, 08:55 AM
I am going to thin out my current stock list and keep only my tangs and faster moving fish. I would like to add 2 triggers and a porcupine puffer.

I've kept triggers before, i would like to add a pinktail, and a niger.

I have never kept a puffer before, does any have any links or references on the care and specifics on how to keep them happy and healthy.

-cory

LisaD
11/19/2007, 10:45 AM
Here's a start. This site has several other puffer-specific articles:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/puffcareinfo.htm

Here's a dedicated site:
http://www.pufferfish.net/

My suggestions -

1) Watch adult size, many will outgrow your tank - burrfish and dogface puffers should stay around 10-12 inches

2) Be sure your filtration can handle the addition of a puffer. They create a high bioload. IME, while they are hardy, they are also sensitive to nitrates and poor water quality in general.

3) Watch compatibility. Puffers are active and are very aggressive feeders. I think the two puffers I mentioned would be okay with niger and a pinktail triggers (BTW, I have both these fish) :)

4) Watch nutrition - as will all saltwater fish, puffers do well with variety and good quality in their diet. Don't overfeed. Give them plenty of things to grind down their teeth or you will be doing puffer dentistry.

Good luck!

redhdmedic
11/20/2007, 09:08 AM
My porcupine outlived my Niger trigger and just moved out of the tank he was sharing with my Pink-Tail into his new 215...he's laways been the funloving guy of the tank, both of these triggers have also been great, the Niger was fabulous with such a fun personality, I greatly miss him, my Pink-Tail is a bit more on the shy side, but slowly coming around.

LisaD
11/20/2007, 09:59 AM
My pink tail is very outgoing and active. I was really pleasantly surprised. He does a good job of standing up for himself against a pretty aggressive Brazilian dragon moray.

Porcs are great fish, they just get too big for any of my tank. I'd go with a burrfish instead because they stay a manageable size...

coryjac0b
11/20/2007, 10:38 AM
im looking for the puppt dog personality that i have seen in many of peoples porcs, will burrfish gain the same type of personality?