PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my anemone this morning........

Tay-Is-My-Name
11/19/2007, 12:57 PM
Don't know exactly why it died this morning. I watched it all night and it was fine. I even did a water change the day before. Anyhow this morning i found it in between some rocks dead. It was my first anemone and I'm planning on getting another one but I love to hear some advice and tips from everyone first. Thank you

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/19/2007, 01:06 PM
What kind of anemone? Are you sure it was dead? If it was a BTA, they deflate and kinda look dead but they are only doing a water change or getting rid of waste. Then the look normal in a couple of hours. I hope you didn't get rid of it without making sure it is definitely dead. You know your anemone is dead if it has a very foul smell enough to make you gag. If it falls apart into pieces its also dead. I'm sure a lot of btas are flushed because the owner didn't know that the bta was only changing water or getting rid of waste.

Tay-Is-My-Name
11/19/2007, 01:21 PM
Well it didn't break apart but i did notice a foul smell when i took it out of my tank. It was a green tip bubble anemone.

kar93
11/19/2007, 01:21 PM
Here are some pics of dying BTA's if it looked anything like these it wouldv'e been dead but i supect that it was just expelling wasta i really hoep you din't flush it.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/thedyingrose.htm

Tay-Is-My-Name
11/19/2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah it looks almost like that second picture of the rose. It had the same stuff around its mouth and it wasn't attach to its rock either.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
11/19/2007, 01:45 PM
bubble tip anemones (BTAs) don't die over night..It takes weeks or months. Once it starts showing its insides in places other than in the mouth of anemone, it can still be alive, but there is no helping it after that. Maybe they die faster in younger tanks.. I wouldn't know because I would never put a bta in a tank that is younger than 6 months. Its also a bad idea to put a bta in a tank smaller than 24 gallons. Because it is difficult to keep parameters in check. Please.. for the anemone..do alot of research before getting another one.
Karen has done her own personal research and makes it free to the public.

Tay-Is-My-Name
11/19/2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the information, I would definately do a lot of research before adding another one to my tank.