PDA

View Full Version : Lights for a 50 gallon

DCcharger09
11/19/2007, 05:57 PM
What lights would you recommend for a 50 gallon that is 36" long

I want t5 with individual reflectors or Metal Halides that won't make me get a chiller

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/19/2007, 06:05 PM
Either will work. T-5's are cheaper and bulbs are cheap. Neither will require a chiller too. I have HQI's, lots of pumps, etc. and I was running about 85-86'F. I tried a chiller and it was a pain to find a place for it, really noisey, very expensive, etc. I fixed my problem with a $10-$20 fan. It didn't do much in the sump but then I put it blowing across the top of the water and the lights. I was expecting a 2-3'F or 4-5'F.. and the packaging said this too. I left it on all night and it went from 85 to 75'F over night. I use a good $80 temperature controller now. Much more control than those variable speed fans. That's with a tank with really hot lights and twice the size as you are talking about.

DCcharger09
11/19/2007, 06:20 PM
Could you recommend some of both?

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/19/2007, 06:41 PM
It's all about research... and that takes time. Fans are pretty cheap so don't waste a lot of time doing that. I got some Azoo fans from Drs.FS I think. You can find those anywhere. THey come in 2 or 4-fan units. I'm gonna drill some holes in the top of my canopy to release heat too. Temp.controller I can't remember where I got that. I paid like $10 extra to have them wire it for me. Apparantly unless you know enough to wire it yourself you better do this. I wouldn't recommend chillers unless you have a really large tank, some noise control, or separate fish room for equipment. Lights.. there's not much to say on that either. Some people buy units, some buy parts and build their own into their canopy. I would check out the experts in the TOTM articles and note what sorta bulbs they are using. DOn't fall for cheap prices on Ebay. Cheaps bulbs may not produce the spectrum they are supposed too or do what they do very well either. Same with ballasts. You can buy a brand name unit and stick with good bulbs. There's a sticky here for lights that has a link to bulb tests.

LINK (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=624185)

CruzinKim
11/19/2007, 06:44 PM
If looking for a lighthood and not retrofit kits, I like SLS equipment. If keeping fish only, mixed reef, or any corals without high light demand, Teks would be a perfect match. These lighthoods look so cool & sexy. Make sure you install the ATi or UVL T5HO bulbs as they're a step above the others.

SLS Tek 4x39W

If high light demanding SPS and clams,

Aquactinics TX5 5x39w

You shouldn't need a chiller with either, just a clip on fan over the sump for when the temp rises.

DCcharger09
11/19/2007, 06:46 PM
yea I was looking at those Aquatinics

what do you think about the Tek lights

CruzinKim
11/19/2007, 06:51 PM
If only keeping a couple of SPS or a clam, Tek will be just fine. I love the way they look. Sleek & slim and nice how it mounts on top of the tank on brackets.

SCIFI_3D_zoo
11/19/2007, 06:53 PM
Oh yea. It all depends on what livestock you have in your tank, if you have a canopy or not, etc.

DCcharger09
11/19/2007, 06:55 PM
I don't have a canopy, I want to keep most kind of corals

IPT
11/19/2007, 07:05 PM
I ahve mostly SPS and some clams with the TX5 on a 50 breeder. I like it, though a lot of people don't care for the look of the fixture. Its a nice powdercoated black ,and sits directly on the tank rim. No complaints here about it - except one. you need to remove the edge of the fixture to remove the light cover and change the bulbs. Not a big issue, but when experimenting with different bulbs it was annoying.

From what I have read the TX5 blows the Tek away regarding light output. It has active cooling, a bulit in fan (that is pretty quiet actually). Really does depend on what you want to keep. My, shrooms and yellow polyps shrunk to nothing (on the bottom of the tank) when I first switched over. The SPS's started growing :)

DCcharger09
11/19/2007, 07:12 PM
yea I've heard that the Tx5 is a lot better

what bulbs would you recommend?

Would I be able to get an anenome with it?

IPT
11/20/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not keeping anenomes and don't really know much about their care. You would be able to keep the high light loving ones.
As for bilbs, I don't even really remember what I have. I think I have an Aquasun, Blue+, Aquablue, and an Actinic. I have another but don't recall which it is. Maybe a another B+.
I am contiplating either adding another B+ or Aquablue and ditching the Actinic (increase PAR), or removing one of the AB and putting another Actinic. Not sure yet and I just changed my tank over so I am not going to make any changes right away.