PDA

View Full Version : tank problem

Stoner Tang
11/19/2007, 07:45 PM
hey everyone this is kind of embarrassing but i have no clue how to deal with this issue. well yesterday my friends from school came over and one of them poured a little bit of c17h21no4 into the tank under the influence i wont say the common name of the substance cause maybe its not allowed. anyway nothing happened until today but maybe we just didnt notice anything last night, but when i got home and the water was very cloudy and my clownfish was dead and the yellow tang is looking very white and looks like dying. i ran carbon for like six hours and changed 40 gallons but the water is still murky and i dont have a place for my livestock. the gsp is closed the kenya tree is all shrivelled up, the frogspawn and the leather and the blue xenia look like plastic after its been burned no color whatsoever. i think the snails are all dead. and i havent seen my yw goby all day. also the sand has gotten some really dark green brown kind of patches on it. i tested the water but everything that i could test for is off the charts. i am about ready to pull out my hair cause the water is not clearing up at all. please someone tell me what i need to do to salvage the remains of my reef. i wish i could take pictures, but i am a poor college student and dont have a webcam sorry for being so long winded and thanks

pdfb55
11/19/2007, 07:51 PM
yeah dont let drunk friends around your tank. I looked up what that substance was. That is probably not good. I would do a large h2o change and run carbon. what i think could be bad is the no4 part of it is really close to nitrate but that might not be problem, i'm not very good at chemistry. But dumping a stimulant like that could probably really mess with your livestock.
Good luck with your tank, i'm sorry about your losses.

Roy G. Biv
11/19/2007, 07:58 PM
Try this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Drug-Test-for-Cocaine-Marijuana-Opiates-THC_W0QQitemZ230193703410QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3141QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) .
It works to test if it is dissolved in liquid.

Stoner Tang
11/19/2007, 08:06 PM
thanks pdf, i know i should have known better i feel like crap.

pmolan are you serious or are you kidding? that thing tests urine? how would that help me clear up my water? i have done another 40 gallons wc and its a little better than before but still cloudy

Roy G. Biv
11/19/2007, 08:14 PM
It will tell you if there is any more present at least. I knew a girl who tested the toilet water of her kid because he never flushed. Also she found a baggie and mixed water in it, tested it and it worked.

nmywrx
11/19/2007, 08:17 PM
I hate to hear about your problem. Hopefully you can salvage something. After you get your tank straightened out, the next thing you need to do is get some new friends.

Roy G. Biv
11/19/2007, 08:21 PM
You could try cutting it with kalkwasser.

dastratt
11/19/2007, 08:54 PM
I would start up a QT with fresh water and move whatever still looks alive to it.

dastratt
11/19/2007, 08:56 PM
In the main tank, remove everything that's dead. Another thing to try in an emergency is Amquel, which should address the ammonia bloom which is being caused by all the decay.

useskaforevil
11/19/2007, 11:24 PM
[flamealert]

Stoner Tang
11/19/2007, 11:58 PM
sorry for the crappy pics but theyre from my cell phone its got much better after the third water change and adding like two of this filters to run carbon in. but im worried about the sand and the all the live rock. do you guys think its useless now or can i still use it to restart back up and do i need to like clean it or something before putting it back in the tank?

edit: couldnt post the pics on here but i think i put them in the gallery if anyone wanna look

Dustin1231
11/20/2007, 01:36 PM
might have bigger problems then your tank.

But good luck with it anyways