PDA

View Full Version : Coral Catshark or Banded Bamboo for reef tank

hdpt73
11/20/2007, 01:07 PM
I have a few clams in my reef tank, I would like to add a shark as I've always wanted one. Which shark would you add in a reef tank which contains a few clams (Gigas, Crocea, Derasa and Squamossa). here are my options

Coral Catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus)

or

Brown Banded Bamboo Shark (Chiloscyllium punctatum)

Note: Catsharks are not the same as Bamboo Sharks

bignick
11/20/2007, 02:05 PM
TANK SIZE?

I vote for coral cat

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/20/2007, 02:34 PM
Really, tank footprint is what matters. If you have a tank in the 240-300g range, Coral Cat definitely. But if you have a tank in the 500g range, I recommend a Brownbanded Bamboo.

Both are great, hardy sharks! I have a Brownbanded Bamboo myself, and I couldn't ask for anything better.

hdpt73
11/20/2007, 02:34 PM
tank is a 350, I have a few dwarf lions and some green chromis but my main concern are my clams.

reefer334
11/20/2007, 03:33 PM
Any of those sharks will work in your tank.Just make sure to provide them with soft sand with no small rocks in it for there soft bellies,also provide good shady caves for them as they are nocturnal and do not like bright light that is needed for your clams and other reef critters.If you do not have a lot of open swimming room I would go with any type of bamboo shark as they do not swim much,were as the cat sharks swim a lot at night.I would suggest a pair of white spot bamboo sharks they in my oppinion have the coolest colors and markings.Hope that helps,Chris

reefer334
11/20/2007, 03:47 PM
The sharks will not bother your clams,just feed them plenty of squid and shrimp.Also make sure your skimmer is up to the task with the extra bioload.They might eat some of your chromis's.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/20/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11223112#post11223112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefer334
If you do not have a lot of open swimming room I would go with any type of bamboo shark as they do not swim much,were as the cat sharks swim a lot at night.

Actually, its quite the opposite. Since Bamboos are much stockier than Coral Cats, they require much more swimming room. Coral Cats still need plenty of space to swim, just not quite as much as the Bamboo.

Just though I'd clear that up. ;)

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/20/2007, 04:51 PM
Yeah, your chromii population will definitely fall after adding a shark. When you say your tank is a 350g, I would guess its around 8' x 3' x about 20" high? That tank would be great for a single Bamboo or possibly a pair of Coral Cats. Either shark you get, be sure you leave LOTS of swimming space and make the rocks extremely stable. They get very active at night and will not bother digging under a rock in search of scrap food, which of course might make the structure collapse and injure it.

limitedslip
11/20/2007, 05:45 PM
my shark eats and loves clam ><, and he destroyed a cleaner clam in my tank, so, i unno if clams would work well w. a brownbanded, or at least, in my experience, it didnt.

reefer334
11/20/2007, 10:54 PM
TheSaltwaterGuy So you have a cat shark and a bamboo?You sound pretty sure about your facts for not having a cat shark.I have had both for several years and bamboo sharks do not swim much day or night.Cat sharks swim as much as a smoothound or blacktip at night.It just offends me when people make an statement without facts,the best way not to affend people is just say (that is my oppinion) you should not say some one is right or wrong on here just give your opinion.I think that helps all of us be nicer to others and not affend them.And all of this is just my oppinion.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/21/2007, 06:36 AM
I'm sorry if I offended you. No, I have not had both the Coral Cat and the Bamboo, but I have probably triple the amount of research than the average shark keeper, I'm no saying that I know a lot more than you guys and that you are wrong, I'm just saying that I know what I'm saying. Make sense? :lol:

Anyways, the Coral Cat is much more active, but IMO, they both need about the same amount of swimming space, just because the Coral cat is much slimmer and can maneuver much better than the Bamboo can.

All of this is just my opinion. :D

reefer334
11/21/2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks Chad it just sounds better that way.I t have done tons of research as well but tend to go by my personel experiences,as most of what I read about are marine creatures I believe to be missleading,All of the shark books say how fragile they are including bamboos,my opinion is that they are much hardier than most fish and do not get the same diseases as fish.Another example you can never keep more than one triggerfish in a tank,I have a tank with a dozen of them in it with no problems.

TheSaltwaterGuy
11/21/2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah, and also, shark and ray books out there now-a-days seem to have awfully low minimum tank requirements. Such as "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" says the Brownbanded Bamboo needs at least 180g. That to me is a little...."off." I believe the minimum for an adult is about 480g.

krj-1168
11/21/2007, 10:09 PM
IMO - the Brown banded bamboos are simply too large for a 360 gallon reef tank.

Ultimately they will our grow the tank - and likely wreck or destroy the reef before out growing the tank.

Coral cats are easier on the reefs - since that are native to tidal pools. And are well adapted for living in fairly tight spaces.

With 360 gallon tank - you should be able to have a small reef & enough room to allow the coral cat to swim normally.