PDA

View Full Version : Did I just get two Female Lineatus for $40?

axia55
11/20/2007, 01:09 PM
I just stopped in at my favorite fish store on my lunch break. They had recently gotten in a shipment and had a bunch of different Fairys. Two of them caught my eye because they are $19.99 each and looked like Female Lineatus. I have tried to find some pictures of what a real female should look like. This picture looks almost exactly like them, but it doesn't match most pictures I have found. http://www.danj.com/reef/images/wrasse/lineatus_female02_small.jpg
Are those really Lineatus or something else?

Bret61081
11/20/2007, 01:20 PM
not sure from the pic but for the price I would say a female pink Margin wrasse....both females look simliar

axia55
11/20/2007, 01:47 PM
What is the scientific name for a Pink Margin wrasse?

wrasseguy2
11/20/2007, 02:29 PM
looks like lineatus female to me but either way still not a bad price

triggerfish1976
11/20/2007, 02:52 PM
The pic is a female lineatus but they can be mistaken in person with Rubimarginatus. I think the only way to tell is to post pics of yours.
If they are Lineatus then someone really screwed up at that LFS.

axia55
11/20/2007, 03:58 PM
The store I go to gets in assorted Fairys for $19.99 on every shipment. They had two male Filament and a male Blue-sided for the same price!

Does anyone have a picture of their Lineatus that I could compare? I will try and post pics of mine later on.

Bret61081
11/20/2007, 06:54 PM
I still vote female pink margin. you can still see the spot on the tail of yours. Here is a great pic of a female

http://www.env.go.jp/nature/nco/kinki/kushimoto/zukan/jpg/beniitob.jpg

Philwd
11/20/2007, 07:34 PM
I bought a small female lineatus a year ago and she had the spot but not the yellow orange on the dorsal fin.

wrasseguy2
11/20/2007, 09:39 PM
a small juv. or female lineatus has the same spot at the tail also..as does most fairy wrasses and the pic that was posted by axia looks like every juv lineatus i have seen

wrasseguy2
11/20/2007, 09:49 PM
i am not the best at id and it could be the red margin i believe they are closely related but either way not bad at $20 a pop

LargeAngels
11/21/2007, 11:17 AM
Female pink margin w/out the dot.

http://www.reefhotspot.com/store/images/wrasse-pinkmargfem.jpg

Find out where they got the shipment from. If it is a lineatus then someone made a HUGE mistake.

Bret61081
11/21/2007, 09:48 PM
They may as well be...I was speaking with a new source from the Christmas islands today and they said they throw all the wrasses that have been around for over 2 weeks in a group called "assorted wrasses" and mentioned pink margin, labouti, lineatus, scotts, and flames to name a few. So you may have scored! This was the first thing I thought of when he said that! If so awesome deal! Just hope one turns to a male! =p

zemuron114
11/22/2007, 02:24 AM
if it came in as assorted wrasses at 19.99 lumped in with others then it is most likely a pink margin. Lineatus are only caught in the coral sea and in great barrier reef and are never "lumped" in with others. Only wholesalers in australia have been exporting these since lineatus are out of range by any other collection station.

Xmas island does not get lineatus. They are way to far out of range. Pink margin - absolutely. they are found everywhere, but lineatus have never been found in christmas. Nor will they find flame wrasse... a proven endemic to Hawaii. Scotts - maybe, they have been found in other places besides the once thought aussie endemic.

I have had 100's of female lineatus come and go (the pic is a lineatus) not many have the dots on the tails. Ill check on some i have and see if they have the dots.

post a pic!!