PDA

View Full Version : Base rock...

connpatd
11/20/2007, 02:28 PM
I'm thinking of building a bigger sump/refugium and figure I'll need more rock for the sump area. My main tank has plenty and is just about perfect the way it is.

Is there any cheap type of rock that I can buy at home depot that will eventually become live rock?

I know that there are recipe's for making live rock from cement and aragonite sand, but if I can get away with buying something with no mess and without having to wait 6 weeks for curing I'd prefer to do that.

Any ideas?

Appreciated!

steven_dean17
11/20/2007, 03:00 PM
Lace rock is good dead rock. Be careful what kind you put in saltwater tanks, alot of it will leach minerals you dont want like copper.

Jareth
11/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Your LFS may have base rock that you can use. In my area its usually around $2/lb

mrSnoid
11/20/2007, 03:25 PM
The heck with going with base rock then stacking good rock on top. Try msrcosrock.com he has super porous rock colors up fast when seeded with a piece of live rock and it's very light so you get a real lot for the price

Turbovinny
11/20/2007, 03:28 PM
^^ your still gonna have to cure it as it is dry base rock

mrSnoid
11/20/2007, 03:31 PM
Sorry it's marcosrock.com

connpatd
11/20/2007, 03:32 PM
I can't find "msrcosrock.com" online.

Turbo, any dry rock will need to be cured?

connpatd
11/20/2007, 03:35 PM
aaah, i got it now. Thanks! :)

Jareth
11/20/2007, 03:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11223051#post11223051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrSnoid
The heck with going with base rock then stacking good rock on top. Try msrcosrock.com he has super porous rock colors up fast when seeded with a piece of live rock and it's very light so you get a real lot for the price

Isnt that effectivly the same thing? If its dry, its base rock. Regardless of the source.

Capt_Cully
11/20/2007, 04:44 PM
depends on what you're looking for. Sometime's base rock can refer to uglier less pourous rock meant to go at the bottom of your aquascape. if it's dry and was once live ocean rock it may need to be re-cured. macrorocks are manufactured rocks that will provide surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on aiding in biological filtration. They can also be called base rock. they won't have die off or anything funky on them to worry about cycling. at least that's my understanding.