PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia migration..what would you do?

hermitage
11/20/2007, 02:29 PM
So back in April, I bought an Emperor Angel. Coincidentaly, I also had a nasty Majano Anenome problem, and a growing Aiptasia concern (spotted a few here and there).

By June all Majanos and Aiptasia were gone. I'd seen my Emp devore the Majaons, but not the Aiptasias. The Aiptasias disappeared anyways (I assumed it was my Angel).

Just yesterday, I decided to take a good look into the Overflows on my tank (AGA 210g)....Aiptasia city! They're all over the place. I'm guessing there's about 30-40 total, 15-20 in each Overflow.

Should I mess with them? or just leave well enough alone? Besides a little hair algae, my tank looks great.

If I covered the tops of the Oflows so they're dark, will this kill the Aiptasias? Or will they just move back into my tank?

Chef Reef
11/20/2007, 02:31 PM
KALK EM!! :P or jsut hit em with lemon juice. eventually they will move back to the tank.

HBtank
11/20/2007, 02:35 PM
I had/have this situation. They moved to the sump, and then I saw one in my display. It was fightin' time!

1. I used a testing syringe (salifert) with kalk slurry and injected everyone I could see. For the overflow areas that are hard to reach with it I just smothered the area in kalk paste. leaving all the pumps off for while while doing this is key to let it really soak in. This killed about half the ones I treated. I repeated and even a better percentage was killed because they are weakend.

2. pepeprmint shrimp. I put 4 in my display and two in my sump. They have since cleaned every singel visible aiptasia from each.

I am now left to eliminating the few in the the overflow with kalk, and I will not get lazy again and kill that first one on first sight. I am tempted to put a shrimp in the overflow, but just do'nt want to mess with my standpipe.

Macimage
11/20/2007, 07:52 PM
Can you get your arm or a scraper in your overflow? If so, I'd just use a scraper, scrape upward and pull them up.

Joyce

USC-fan
11/20/2007, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11224838#post11224838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
Can you get your arm or a scraper in your overflow? If so, I'd just use a scraper, scrape upward and pull them up.

Joyce That would be a really bad idea.

I tried doing that in my old 30gal and a couple weeks later i have to cook all my live rock.... ;)

Swanwillow
11/20/2007, 08:41 PM
think of it positively..

nutrient export! Is there any way you can take them out without breaking them up? hot freshwater injections are safe too.

crusing52
11/20/2007, 09:31 PM
If you dose your tank with two part additive. You can use a syringe with the calcium part in it. Just inject the little buggers with it every night you add it. It took me sometime but it works. The best part is you don't have to worry about it killing anything else in your tank.

hermitage
11/21/2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks Yall. I was hoping I could leave them.