PDA

View Full Version : OT: gaming!

Twisted
11/20/2007, 05:15 PM
So we touched on the topic in a previously hi-jacked thread.

I have been gaming since the Atari 2600, that was our first family gaming system, and I have been hooked since. I have owner Nintendo NES, Nintendo SNES, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation, Playstation 2, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, and the Xbox, along with various PC's.

I got into online gaming in 1993 and started beta testing games for various companies and thier online games since then. Pretty much every main stream MMORPG <Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game> since 1993 I have been involved in atleast a little.

Recently I have had a hard time finding the time to invest into these games, so bought the Wii to play with instead, because face it everyone should play with thier Wii. After a year of watch for the games to come out on it I started getting kind of bored with it, they are all small kids type games, most of which are fun, but I find myself not wanting to take the time to play them anymore.

So Sunday I made the leap and went to Best Buy to look at XBOX360's. I was looking at the Halo3 special edition one, but then remembered that someone was advertising the regular Xbox360 pro with two games in the package with it for $349, but only the regular xbox 360 pro was on the shelf for $349. I asked the kid that was handling that department about it, and he said we don't sale the one with the games anymore, that promo is over...
I said but everyone else is advertising in the Sunday paper that they will sell me the same system with the two games for what you sell just the system for,,,
He said, in todays paper? I said, "Yes"...

At this point my wife says, do you price match that or anything, the kid got a dumb look on his face, and said let me ask my manager about it, he came back a few minutes later holding the promo box I was asking about. I just laughed at him, took it, and walked past him to ask the manager what accessories he suggested for it.

I love when companies hire for the holidays.

Anyways, anyone else have a 360? and run it online?

boviac
11/20/2007, 06:00 PM
Hi, My name is Chris...

** HI CHRIS ***

And I'm a recovering computer gaming addict.

No, I've thankfully never immersed myself into those highly addictive MMORPG's. And I too stared out with Pong, and my first computer was a TI-99/4A where I learned BASIC and used a tape drive. Progressed to an Amiga and been a PC gamer since. However, local (my CPU-only) RPG have sucked up more than their deserved share of my life. And with each time, I realized how that southpark episode pretty much was an example of how my mind/body felt after playing either to completion or by mind/body revolting from continuous play taking time out only to pee and eat and in that priority. With my reef, it's upgrades, work, family, study for PE, bicycling, etc I simply don't have time to play those games as I find I don't have enough self disipline to maintain a life outside the game. I forget things like I need to take out the trash and then oversleep the next morning... So honestly I love the new graphics that the 64-bit Xbox360 games can provide and they are tempting... but I'm simply too busy anymore.

That being said - I recently upgraded my video card and found it came with a game - old Dungeon Seige. I installed the card and the then game and my free time vanished for two weeks. No more games like that for me.

So instead I set my flight simulator to fly with an add-on FSPassengers and get to pretend to be a pilot again for at least the Take off and landings. That I can manage, pause, walk away from, etc. Each flight has an ending too. Very Nice.

Anyway, funny story about the lovely world of retail around the holidays and congrats on the product score.

iairj84
11/20/2007, 06:10 PM
Well being only 21 I don't remember the days of the atari, but I do remember buying our first Nintendo at Fred Meyer back in the day. I would play mario and various other childlike games until I wasn't able to anymore (bedtime DANGIT!)

Between my brother and I we've owned every single major system that has been released... you name it, we've had it. We've even owned every version of the game boy they came out with. I remember buying the dreamcast with my own money I had saved and thinking it was the greatest thing ever. I still play it from time to time and think the graphics were way before it's time.

I currently own the Wii (as well as the other systems collecting dust) and play it primarily. My brother took his 360 with him to san francisco and we have the PS3 coming from amazon here shortly.

I have also modded the wii so I can put multiple game cube games on a single disk as well as playing some wii games that are a little less than legitimate.

Rysam
11/21/2007, 10:12 AM
i too started out witha pong and then a commodore64, atari 2400,2600, nes snes, blah blah blah. i too like the mmorpg's alot. but i get waay too involved. thats why i never let myself get involved with wow. im into the FPS lately. just waiting for unreal tournament 3 for mac to come out. should be ready by 2020. thats the downside of gaming on a mac, no games available and if they are its 3x more than a pc. i have seriously considered buying a cheapo pc just for games. but i dont play them as much as i used to. i have an xbox right now that pretty much all i play is tiger woods o6.

iairj84
11/21/2007, 11:39 AM
We should get a club poker and video game night at some point! I suck at Halo but know that's what most like to play in groups.... Either way!

And those with the wii send me your player ID's and what games you play online so I can add you.

boviac
11/21/2007, 01:26 PM
Honestly, games for PC are the main reason I believe the advancements in PC hardware have progressed so fast. With video cards costing as much as the equivalent computer componets for a mid range system you can see what's driving it. Most PC business software cannot even begin to operate to maximize the capabilites of our current top of the line CPU's and motherboard architechture.

That being said I would caution you on buying a 'cheap' PC to play PC games cause like the rest of this addiction would cause you to consider upgrading for every new game upgrade much like we do nearly annualy with gaming consoles.

I know fligh sim has been my main motivators for system upgrades (as well as time and system bogdown) but I have to admit the downgrading hype about FSX and the need to really invest in probably nearly $1k+ to upgrade my system at this time, I've gone only moderately with a 1G DDR and top of the line AGP card upgrade. YMMV.

If I were to get an gaming console I would highly consider the Wii as it seems to be the next step in technology advancements beyond simply video improvements.