PDA

View Full Version : should I order?

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 05:25 PM
I am upgrading from a 20g long w/ 29g fuge to a 40br w/ 20g fuge, and so will obviously need more rock. because LFS rock prices are extremely high I have decided to order online, and because I am planning on ordering some things from liveaquaria I was thinking about getting 40 lbs of their carribian LR, because of its extremly low price. what has peoples experiences been w/ that? I am most concerned w/ shape of rock, I want nice shapes and various sizes.

thanks!

usmc121581
11/20/2007, 05:31 PM
I never believed in ordering live rock off line. I have heard many stories that people I recieved stuff like 1-30 lb rock and a bunch of 1 lbs and so on. I like to see what I am going to pay for before I buy it. But maybe they is someone here that can give insight on there orders.

m2434
11/20/2007, 05:47 PM
Why not just get dry base rock and put it under the old rock. If you have LR already the base rock will turn into live rock fairly quickly.

BrokeColoReefer
11/20/2007, 07:28 PM
check your local reef clubs. they usually always have rock for sale.
pros of buying online:
cheap

Cons of buying on line:
no idea what you are going to get
it will need to be cured, which costs money in salt.

you can get rock that is cured from people getting out of the hobby from 1$/lb - $3/lb. That can take some patience, if your in a hurry, buy cured live rock from the store. If you get LR online, you can add 2-3 weeks to the start up time for curing anyway. They ship it in wet newspaper, and no matter how cured it is at there facility, it will need to be re cured when it gets to you.

Last, my LFS will order uncured rock for me at $3.50/lb. Then i get to pick shapes and cure it myself. Most of the prices at the LFS reflect the pain in the butt of curing.

nathenvan
11/20/2007, 07:46 PM
live aquaria has one of the best customer service. I think you will be happy with your order from live aquaria.

Moonstream
11/20/2007, 07:52 PM
I have decided to get 35-50lbs of dry base rock from the LFS at 1.99 a lb, because in the end I will probably be happier w/ it then getting rock online, thanks.

2crazyreefers
11/20/2007, 08:38 PM
IMO, One thing most people do not check while ordering rock on line is the actual weight when they get it. It is the same at my LFS when they get boxes of rock they always end up short a few pounds. I figure with the shortage and by the time and salt they use to cure it during water changes I just get it from them. The way I look at it is they take care of the hassle and I get the cherry pics.