PDA

View Full Version : Securing Frags

xxaquanutxx
11/20/2007, 07:25 PM
Hey all,

I just had a quick question...

Is it imperative to use epoxy or SG to get frags to adhere to rubble or would plain rubber banding work too...

Has anyone ever used rubber bands on SPS if that is even possible??

Thanks for any help!

magnoliarichj
11/21/2007, 01:20 AM
i have started using two little fishies coral affix with excellent results.

c.rob
11/21/2007, 05:38 AM
If this question is just for SPS.... The answer is no you probably shouldn't use rubberbanding. The tissue under the rubberband will most likley die off and/or become a site for infection. The coral is already stressed from the cutting. Super glue tends to cover the wound if placed cut down although I glue mine down horizontally with the cut side in the flow of water.

xxaquanutxx
11/21/2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks! The reason I ask is because on the island I live on we do not have access to different varieties of affixing substances.

K_Labs
11/22/2007, 04:58 PM
I have recently Purchased Super Glue Anchor-Tite Waterproof Epoxy. I found a link to the superglue website. http://www.supergluecorp.com/superglue/15206.html

On the site there is a MSD sheet and a PD sheet but I'm not sure how to read any of those

I was wondering if it is harmful to use in aquariums...

Some1 contacted the maker to see what they had to say on this subject. Here is their reply: "We do not recommend using Anchor Tite Waterproof Epoxy for applications with fish and/or sea life. We do not have safety test data for this. Pro Seal Silicones may be an alternative, as they are safe for this use."

Has any1 used this product b4 with corals w/o any problems?

redox
11/23/2007, 05:49 AM
do you have access to zip ties. Ive used them and the sps have no problem growing right over them;)

K_Labs
11/23/2007, 11:46 AM
I have already glued some of my plumbing together with it.

xxaquanutxx
11/23/2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks all... We have a ton of Zip ties that my hubby uses for the wires around the house or in the car