PDA

View Full Version : purple coralline

Murdoch98
11/20/2007, 07:33 PM
Is there any harm in scraping a large amount of the purple coralline off of the back wall of my 75 gallon tank? The tank is 8 years old and has near 100 pounds live rock, no corals. Thanks.
Mark

culinarydreamz
11/20/2007, 07:42 PM
from my experience, scraping off coraline and allowing the coraline to deposit back into the water will only seed the water and allow it to grow back faster. if you scrape it and totally remove it, it will eventually grow back but not "AS" fast.

There will be no harm in this at all but don't really see the need in scraping the "BACK" wall. but there is no harm so go for it.

poppin_fresh
11/20/2007, 07:46 PM
I let the front glass of my 72 get to the point where I couldn't see in any more before I scraped it all off. I didn't have any issues other than cloudy water for a while.

If you are that concerned, just do a small patch at a time. It makes you wonder why people always ask how to get it to grow?? :D

BodiBuilt
11/20/2007, 07:47 PM
No harm in removing coraline from your tank (if its acrylic be careful not to scratch). By removing it you help to spread the spores to all other places in your tank. If you are "curing" any new L.R. seperatly you can introduce the scrapings to have it spread...or if you know any one setting up a new system you could share : )

Roy G. Biv
11/20/2007, 07:56 PM
Scrape it into baggies with tank water... Sell them on ebay. Plenty of people want to buy coraline seed.

czerbe
11/20/2007, 09:18 PM
pmolan is that a pic of to sand stars mating