PDA

View Full Version : Can you ID something without a pic?

lelualexa
11/21/2007, 02:05 AM
Yesterday I went to a shopping centre about an hour away from me. One shop had a reeally nice tall reef tank. They had minimal corals and lots of... grass. I can't figure out what it was though. It looked real, not fake, but the guy working didn't know what it was either.
It looked like long thin strands of grass, all clumped together. It was a very nice bright light green colour, and reeally looked like very thin grass, similar to mondo grass but thinner and a lighter green.
I'm really interested in introducing some of this to my tank, can anyone let me know what it could be? I've tried searching but can't find any pics unfortunately.

Thanks

demonsp
11/21/2007, 02:08 AM
Neon green star poylps MB.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/129799mini-DSC01343.JPG

Blown 346
11/21/2007, 05:54 AM
I agree, it is an easy beginner coral and likes medium to high water flow and medium to high lighting. It is called either Green star polyps or starbust polyp. They also have brown ones out there too.

dendro982
11/21/2007, 07:27 AM
Maiden hair, shaving brush macroalgae? You may check through the Image Search.

Frick-n-Frags
11/21/2007, 07:31 AM
Can you ID something without a pic?...

final answer izzzzzzz........

no :D

lelualexa
11/22/2007, 12:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11227330#post11227330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dendro982
Maiden hair, shaving brush macroalgae? You may check through the Image Search.

Thank you!!! I had no idea what to search for. I don't know much about macros. I still can't find a good enough image of either to know if that's exactly what it was, but close enough for me to continue searching.

So there, Frick-n-Frags, guess you were wrong!! :p

Hormigaquatica
11/22/2007, 12:11 AM
You can check out Turtle Grass also. It looks val more than mondo grass, but could be a step in the right direction anyhow.

Frick-n-Frags
11/22/2007, 12:33 AM
:D yup, you got me. I was lying. I knew it was a shaving brush algae all along.

even before you started the thread. heh

(take your camera with you the next time you go to the shop, and the people here STILL don't know what it is, really.
Well, except we now know that it is not animal or mineral)

dendro982
11/22/2007, 07:12 AM
Each of us has the best intentions, believe me!

By the way, gsp, despite being invasive, looks really good under MH light - fluorescent green lawn, moving in the flow. Hill side, covered by gsp, topped by red mushrooms or white xenia, will have look of a zen garden.

One more thing: I got once a small piece of the shaving brush macroalgae - it disappeared in the tank one night. I think, that the snails ate it. But it surely looks good.