PDA

View Full Version : Aquacontroller Jr. vs. Reefkeeper 2

ooja3k
11/21/2007, 02:51 AM
Anyone have any opinions on these products? Im looking to ask for one of the two for christmas...

Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!

aninjaatemyshoe
11/21/2007, 06:24 AM
The ACJr has far more expandability (an additional DC4 unit, Aquasurf, Lunar Simulator, Float Switch, etc.) and the ability to write program scripts greatly increases its functionality. The Reefkeeper II is better for people who aren't comfortable with program scripts and want a fairly easy fairly user-friendly controller. IMO, ACJr is much much better.

biger
11/21/2007, 06:59 AM
Program scripts? I am also looking at both of these but I don't even know what a program script is much less know how to write one. Do you need to know these things for the ACjr? If so do you think it would b better for someone like me to go with the RK2?

Tokey
11/21/2007, 07:11 AM
I have a RK2 and it does everything you could want I won't list it all as it is easier just to check out their site you can also hook it up to your computer for updates and best of all its very user friendly. Whats the use of having an expensive piece of equipment if its to hard to use.
(I'm not saying the Aquacontroler is hard to use as I have never had one it is just others opinions )

biger
11/21/2007, 07:21 AM
Good point Tokey.

dzeadow
11/21/2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know how to write scripts and I have the AC Jr. It's nice because all the outlets can be configured to all it's different abilities. If you bought the unit w/ the DC8 (8 outlets) you can configure all 8 for lighting, or all 8 for wavemaking powerheads, etc. Right now I have 2 for lights, 2 for powerheads, 1 for heater, and the other 3 are currently unused. If you hook it up to your computer (serial port model must be purchased to do this), you can have the lighting change times with the seasons i.e. longer daylight hours in summer vs. shorter in the winter. I love mine and don't use the computer w/ it hardly ever.

jmait769
11/21/2007, 08:07 AM
Agree with aninjaatemyshoe but if you want more comparison info check here at RobbyG’s site: <a href="http://www.aquariumcontrollers.com" target="_blank">Aquarium Controllers</a>

Jay

oct2274
11/21/2007, 10:57 AM
the ac jr definitely has more capabilities then the RK2. It isn't really that hard to program and since they are a sponsor here at reef central you can just go down to their area here on the forums and ask them whatever question you need help with. if you want more capabilities including stuff like email alerts go with the ac jr. Make sure you get the one with the serial port.