PDA

View Full Version : New anemone, what do ya think?

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 07:24 PM
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving.
Would like to show you guys my new addition and see what you think. I feel it is a BTA but the guy at the lfs was unsure maybe BTA or LTA or Sebea. It has a smooth, red foot, blunt tenticles that end with fuchia(sp) spots. I think BTA what do you think?
Also, purchase him Sunday,it ate two small pieces of Mahi (my skunk cleaner loves it too, he's about cocktail size now) Has been staying in one place now for the last 24 hours and really gets active after lights out. Watched him for 1 1/2 wk at lfs to make sure he was healthy there preferred to stay in an area of moderate light and flow at store which he is doing now as well.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 07:27 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/152347001__2_.jpg

reefman13
11/21/2007, 08:21 PM
Here you go:)
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/152347001__2_.jpg

That is a pretty cool BTA.

saltyfishy123
11/21/2007, 08:37 PM
My friend, thats a sabae, NOT a BTA (reefman) And other guy
reefman, dont just read and agree, thats obviously a sebae, not a bubble tip
:rolleyes:

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 08:39 PM
I thought the foot on a sebae was always tan or brown.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the pic reefman, I am obviously not computer literate enought to figure out how to attach the actual image. DUH!

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 08:43 PM
my son agrees I just hate that.

littleshark
11/21/2007, 08:54 PM
Does kind of look like a BTA and Sebae. Maybe a hybrid of those two :) But anyways it looks nice. Its also looks bleach. What lighting is it under?

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 09:12 PM
Acually the color is darker bluish-green I just stink at aquarium photography too much flash. Its under reef sun (I think) and Marine glo blue actinic.T-8 bulbs. One of each on each side.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 09:16 PM
Also, around the left side of it you can see the foot is clearly red.
no bumps just smooth so definitly not LTA

Toddrtrex
11/21/2007, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11232113#post11232113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyfishy123

I am going to disagree, looks to me like a BTA that is starving.

Some small feedings should go a long why to improving it. But don't feed it too much, nor too big of pieces, it takes energy for it to digest the food.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 09:27 PM
Tenticles are nice and plump, not shriveled, clubbed. Why do you feel it appears as if its starving

Toddrtrex
11/21/2007, 09:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11232510#post11232510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reebow in nwfl
Tenticles are nice and plump, not shriveled, clubbed. Why do you feel it appears as if its starving

It could just be the angle of the picture, but they look a little small to me.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 09:40 PM
Its about 2-3 inches in diameter depending on how relaxed (Cleaner shrimp likes to wander by and cop a feel), tenticles are about a quarter inch in diameter until you get toward the edges and they begin to get more slender. After lights out the tenticle become much more slender and it becomes very active, moving a lot but staying in place.
What'cha think. Not being argumentative just would like opinions from those with more experience.

Toddrtrex
11/21/2007, 09:49 PM
The fact that it is a small one might be a factor too. It just looks like some of the clones that I have had, that were hidden, and shrunk down.

But, it still looks pretty healthy, and has good color, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Good feedings will help it grow larger, which I would like to see it do before your clowns find it (( assuming that you have clowns ))

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah have two ocellaris, who have only regarded it with passing interest. You know how they are. May be trying to figure out if its edible. They have actually chosen my heater as a host, and share it with my foxface and one of my chromis at night. clowns at the top, chromis in the middle, foxy at the bottom. Its pretty funny

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks a bunch for your time and help. It is very much appreciated. In closing when do you think would be the better time to feed it. During the day when it is not as active or in the evening when it really gets moving around?

Toddrtrex
11/21/2007, 10:35 PM
It is good that you have ocellaris, since they tend to be easier on anemones. My pair took a couple of months to find my LTA.

Sure thing.

I would feed it sometime when the lights are on, and when it is convenient for you. Suggest giving it a week to settle in, and then feeding it small meaty food.
And what exactly to you mean by moving around? Ideally it should stay in the same spot.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 10:52 PM
It is staying in the same spot but after the tank lights go off its tenticles get more slender and it really starts moving them around all over the place almost writhing motions.

Toddrtrex
11/21/2007, 10:54 PM
Ahhh, okay. I wouldn't worry about that too much as of yet. Still could be adjusting to your tank. Mine BTA gets a bit smaller after lights off, but other wise stays the same as far as movement goes.

reebow in nwfl
11/21/2007, 10:57 PM
Just fed it a tiny piece of mahi, which it engulfed within 3 min. watched to be sure it didn't spit it out. Enclosed itself around it and stayed that way for a couple of minutes and is now relaxed and back to squirming it tenticles again.
p.s tenticles stay long they dont shorten they're just not as fat

phender
11/22/2007, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11232113#post11232113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyfishy123

That is a pretty powerful statement for someone who is wrong. :D

Sebaes don't have a red column/foot. Yes, it has pink tentacle tips, but some BTAs have pink tips as well. On a sebae the pink tips are usually smaller and more condensed.

reebow in nwfl
11/22/2007, 01:06 PM
Hey thanks for the input, that was the way I was leaning but was confused by it its appearance.
And by the way if saltyfish is referring to me as the "other guy". Yes Virginia there is such a thing as girl reefers.

Toddrtrex
11/22/2007, 01:07 PM
LOL

Have a good Turkey day.

reebow in nwfl
11/22/2007, 01:28 PM
You too everyone
Gobble Gobble

lildraken
11/22/2007, 06:08 PM
Sebae could be H. Malu or H. Crispa and that pictured, in my opinion, is neither.

It's to my understanding that E. Quadricolor is the one without any verrucae present.

reebow in nwfl
11/22/2007, 06:40 PM
Definitely has no verrucae and its column is completely red, mouth and tenticles both a lighter different color with the exception of the tips so I'm pretty sure its not dyed.

MarinaP
11/22/2007, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11235831#post11235831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
That is a pretty powerful statement for someone who is wrong. :D

I am with Phil here.

BTA is what you have.

reebow in nwfl
11/22/2007, 09:15 PM
Cool. And btw Todd. My new looks almost identical at times to the photo you have posted "True and BTA"

davocean
11/23/2007, 01:21 PM
I would also ignore the bleached comment, it's small, but it's healthy color.
I would feed silversides, maybe half of one, like twice a week.

reebow in nwfl
11/23/2007, 01:47 PM
Living so close to the Gulf of Mexico and being an avid ah fisherperson. I have frozen Mahi from this past summer that I slice and feed my shrimp and anemone. This should be sufficient dont ya think.

davocean
11/23/2007, 01:54 PM
In your case yes.

reefman13
11/23/2007, 10:57 PM
Haven't chimed in for a while, so I figured I would drop in again:)

I figured that is was a BTA because of the much more inflated tentecles.

I would seem that if fed well, and given great conditions, you will end up with a nice looking Green BTA.

If you have happend to touch it (don't go and touch it just for an answer), is it very sticky?

OrionN
11/23/2007, 11:15 PM
That is an obvious E. quadricolor, or BTA. It seem to need a little food but otherwise healthy (from that one picture)
Definitely has no verrucae and its column is completely red
BTA have no visible verrucae and column can be various color from tan to brown to wine red.

reebow in nwfl
11/24/2007, 11:33 AM
Yes, very sticky has been since day one stuck to the gloves I had on a little when I put it in the tank initially. Pretty good amount of ?slime? usually have to hold tidbit of food within tentacles for a few secs then it grabs hold by itself. The only behavior I don't understand is its tentacles stay rounded and plump during the day when lights are on and then in the evenings they become slender, long and really start writhing about. Normal feeding response maybe? It is staying in place column looks plump and well attached, mouth is pursed.

GSMguy
11/24/2007, 03:00 PM
Its definitely a BTA

Lance M.
11/24/2007, 04:18 PM
Just wondering how much light you have and where the bta is located (depth in the tank).

reebow in nwfl
11/24/2007, 05:37 PM
I have 2 T-8 Marine glo (actinic) and 2 T-8 Life glo bulbs one of each on both sides of the tank. Tank is 18 inches deep it likes hanging out on the bottom attached to the side of a dead head coral It is actually looking better to me and its only been 6 days since purchased. More plump, less retracted, more lively.
Will send pics

reebow in nwfl
11/24/2007, 05:58 PM
What ya think, making a comeback?http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/152347new_nem_for_rc.jpg

garygb
11/24/2007, 06:58 PM
Looks like a BTA, the fact it is sticky and eating also suggests a healthy BTA. Assuming your tank conditions are good, you will be rewarded with a beautiful addition to your aquarium. Make sure that the intakes to powerheads are covered in the event the anemone begins to wander around. BTA's tend to remain in one location, once they have found a location they like. Since this is a new one, it may wander a bit. BTW, if this were a sebae, which it doesn't look like, it would most likely bury its base in the gravel.
Gary