PDA

View Full Version : Not a newbie to SPS but....

Ludwigia73
11/22/2007, 10:27 AM
So far all I've done is Metal Halides with vho supplement. I'm setting up a 56 column (30 wide by 18"deep by 25" tall). I'm going with a t-5 setup 24", with 6 bulbs and tek 5 reflectors, and will possibly add a 2x24w retro for a little more punch if needed. Based on the 6 light setup, what combination of bulbs would give a couple (3 at most) of acros the best color? Not worried much about growth, and I don't really want the "appearance" of color, I actually want the acros to exhibit the best color naturally because of the lights. They will be high in the aquarium, except for a green slimer that will start life about halfway down. Once again, worried much more about appearance than growth. It will have a 3" deep sandbed with some small rubble for jawfish on the bottom, with a mushroom shaped rockwork, providing a nice ledge for fishies to hide under. Bio load from fish will be low. Thanks for any suggestions, and if you have the setup you're suggesting, pics would be appreciated.

This will not be sps only, I plan on having 3 acros, (1 green slimer and 2 ultra colored acros) A plating monti (probably cap) on one side, a bright echino on the other side, and a large encrusting monti (prob sunset or superman). If there's room, I may also use a digitata. The main gist of this tank is completely opposite from everything I've done, a few beautiful pieces rather than a jam packed tank with every frag I could get my hands on.

Ludwigia73
11/22/2007, 09:00 PM
wow, would have thought I'd have had some sort of reply by now... no one has experience with t-5's?

Ludwigia73
11/24/2007, 12:46 PM
Well, thanks anyway ;(

tankgeeks
11/24/2007, 02:56 PM
try the lighting and filtration forum, grim reefer would be able to help you answer some of your questions especially in regards to what bulb combos to use....hope that helps some...

Ludwigia73
11/25/2007, 06:04 PM
I tried them, but not one response. Same thread. The one I'm buying has 4 daylights and 2 actinics. I'll probably change 1 of the daylights for an ultraactinic.

jeffbrig
11/25/2007, 08:49 PM
Hey Chris, glad to see you're getting back in. I've been using a 50/50 combination of aquablue and blue+ T5s over my tank for a couple of years now. Great color to my eye, good output, and sps seem happy with it. I also run 14k phoenix halides for a few hours of 'midday' sun, but most of the day is just under the T5s.

ReefWreak
11/25/2007, 10:46 PM
I've seen Matt (Ding2thedong) in FMAS with his 8x54w, he has 2xdaylight, 3xblueplus, 3 superactinics, and I love the color in his tank, a beautiful 20k blue color, and he sais he gets decent growth. All that over a 75g with a tek fixture.

As for me, I'll never touch T5s. After seeing someone's 200ish gallon tank with 2x400w 14k or 15k with one 400w radium in the center I'm a believer in halides. His colors in that tank with his SPS were so insane, forget it. Matt does have great color, but it's just not the same to me....