PDA

View Full Version : Precipitation: kalk or 2-part?

Zucker26
11/22/2007, 11:37 AM
My 29gal tank has been set up for about 6 months ago. I currently add kalkwasser to my top-off water (about 1/2 gal evaporation per day), and dose C-Balance 2-part solution daily (10-15ml depending on alk/ca levels).

My dKh is pretty steady in the 8-9 range, and my calcium stays in the 390-430 range (lower end only if I skip a day on the 2-part). Recently I noticed that my sandbed is starting to clump slightly, and I have to clean my glass more frequently. I don't think the glass buildup is algae, because it's just a very fine uniform cloudiness that develops after a few days, regardless of light level or location, and comes right off with one sleep of a magfloat.

I'm assuming this is precipitation, but I don't know which additive to suspect more. If I cut back on the 2-part, then my calcium and alk drop. Any suggestions?

hyperfocal
11/22/2007, 11:10 PM
Sure it isn't diatoms? If you are precipitating calcium, you'll see it first on warm things (heaters, pumps, and the like).

m2434
11/22/2007, 11:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11238390#post11238390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hyperfocal
Sure it isn't diatoms? If you are precipitating calcium, you'll see it first on warm things (heaters, pumps, and the like).

I agree, on the glass it's probably diatoms or plankton. Precipitation tends to "fall down" to tank bottoms, and is especially enhanced around pumps, heaters, and agaronite sand and GFO.

If there is a precipitation problem, kalk is my bet. It has very high pH can significantly effect the pH locally where it is added. The alk component of 2-part can as well, but not quite as significantly. If concerned, drip these supplements slowly into a high flow area.

yellowwatchmen
11/23/2007, 02:13 AM
i sat diatoms

yellowwatchmen
11/23/2007, 02:13 AM
oops, i say diatoms

Zucker26
11/23/2007, 06:49 AM
Okay, so if it's diatoms or plankton, then I guess my next question needs to be how bad are these things, and should I be worried about it? The whole thread only came about because I'm getting sick of cleaning the glass; everything in the tank looks great!

m2434
11/23/2007, 08:14 AM
No worries, great food sources just get out your magfloat. When you scrape it off, it will enter the water and feed your corals - cheaper and more effective than supplements.