PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to build my first tank!

balto777
11/22/2007, 08:37 PM
I am preparing to put together my first aquarium, and have two questions. (I mean build a tank in DIY, not my first aquarium ever!) Anyway, here are my two questions:

I have heard differing oppinions regarding whether the bottom glass fits inside the front, back, and sides or whether the front, back, and sides fit on top of the bottom piece. I am planning on a glass aquarium build, so I figure this is the best place to get some answers.

Second, my build is going to be 48"L x 20"H x 20"W. I want it to be rimless with no top bracing, so I am considering 1/2" glass. Anyone confirm whether my calculations are correct.

Thanks everyone.

coralnut99
11/23/2007, 08:07 AM
Last spring I had the misfortune (cracked from my poor attempt at external overflows) of having to dismantle an older 125. It was made from 1/2" glass all around, and had no top bracing. The trim was simply a VERY heavy duty platic moulding that was simply mitered at the joints, so it wasn't a one-piece trim like you see today and no structural use other than to support a loaded 125. There have been numerous threads about whether the side panels should sit on top of or next to the bottom panel. After dismantling this larger tank, and lots of smaller tanks, I've never seen the side panels anywhere other than on top of the bottom panel. Fwiw, the tank I'm kicking around in my head will be built this way too.

BeanAnimal
11/23/2007, 09:38 AM
I have seen plenty of tanks with the bottom panel set between the side panels. It would appear that many newer tanks are built as coralnut99 has indicated. In almost all cases, there is trim that keeps the bottom panel elevated from the stand. The tank rests on the trim, not the bottom pane of glass.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/technical/glassthickness/
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

This is a pretty ambitious project for a first DIY tank. You will want to use good silicone to say the least.

coralnut99
11/23/2007, 07:54 PM
Dow 995 I guess?

BeanAnimal
11/23/2007, 08:18 PM
That is certainly one of the better silicones. There is another, but I can't remember the part number at the moment.

balto777
11/23/2007, 09:05 PM
Reading those links with all the formulas in it is reminding me of Star Trek IV where they go back in time to present day earth and help that glass manufacturer make that "new" type of glass. LOL.

Originally, I wanted to save some money, but after looking at everything, it seems to cost the same to build a tank as buying it from a place such as glasscages.com. At least if I get the glass pre-cut. Wondering if I should change my mind on building the tank.

One thing is for certain, I am going to build my own sump. For that I will be using acrylic. I seem to like melev's "sump F" design.

coralnut99
11/23/2007, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11242678#post11242678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by balto777
Reading those links with all the formulas in it is reminding me of Star Trek IV where they go back in time to present day earth and help that glass manufacturer make that "new" type of glass. LOL.

Originally, I wanted to save some money, but after looking at everything, it seems to cost the same to build a tank as buying it from a place such as glasscages.com. At least if I get the glass pre-cut. Wondering if I should change my mind on building the tank.

One thing is for certain, I am going to build my own sump. For that I will be using acrylic. I seem to like melev's "sump F" design.

There's really no "economic" reason to build your glass tank as I think you can see. It only makes sense if you have some oddball size restrictions or just want an odd-size tank to suit a particular purpose.