PDA

View Full Version : BTA(?) lighting upgrade -- too late?

enigma32
11/22/2007, 09:20 PM
Hello all,

I've been a bad person and not been able to maintain my tank as well as I should for the last couple months.
As a result, my parameters have gotten out of whack (specifically the salinity, which I've remedied) but my anemone has suffered.

I have known that my lighting was insufficient for quite some time now (in fact, it's embarrassingly insufficient), but the anemone was doing alright with feeding....
It is not doing alright anymore. In fact, in the last two weeks it has shrunken so that it's only about 1.25" in diameter. It even detached itself from the substrate about a week ago.

I have pulled together some money to purchase a Current USA 36" Nova Extreme for the tank, but I'm not sure if it will be a wasted investment as the anemone is the only organism in the tank that requires that type of lighting....

Is it too late? Is a Nova Extreme sufficient for a BTA in a 30 gallon tank?

Thanks so much,
Matt

davocean
11/23/2007, 02:06 PM
If you plan to stay in this hobby good lighting is always a good investment, and most stuff will do well under T5's.
The new nova's have a better reflector than b4, and are plenty for a BTA.
Try to save this one, or be ready for next as well as giving better light for other corals.