PDA

View Full Version : 600 gallon stocking opinions

blfuller123
11/24/2007, 07:22 AM
I am about to set up my 600 gallon tank (96x48x30). It will be viewed on two sides. I was originally going to set it up for a couple of smaller sharks (horn shark, coral cat shark) and possibly a ray for the main inhabbitants, but now I am changing my mind after seeing a couple videos of other peoples tanks. With this tank being viewed in my formal living room and my family room, I want to keep large size fish with great colors. I would like to have as much variety as possible to include angel(s) tangs, triggers and anything with personality. There will be just a small amount of rock in the display with no corals. Anyone care to make suggestions?

DamnPepShrimp
11/24/2007, 11:07 AM
Well I'd say your right on track, angels and tangs are great viewing fish with lots of color and personality. I am setting up a 360g fowlr eventually (pick the tank up tom) and going with 3 large angels, 3 small angels, 6 tangs and some other small filler fish (clowns,blenny, damsels etc). Triggers and puffers have great personality, as well as wrasses etc. It just depends if you want a clean up crew and inverts. If you don't mind not having that, then definitely look into triggers/puffers etc. You have lots of options with that tank, it really all depends on what your into and what catches your eye.

blfuller123
11/24/2007, 11:43 AM
So many choices!

limitedslip
11/24/2007, 12:55 PM
puffers are the kings of personailty. If you really want personality, you cant go wrong w/ one. I currently have 2 puffers, and watching them interact and trying to get my attention is hilarious. Just watch out for when they spit:rolleyes:

with that size of tank, you could put a bicolor parrot in there, I love the color on those, when they turn into adults.

Bursa
11/24/2007, 02:56 PM
Queen trigger

46bfinGA
11/24/2007, 03:40 PM
Brett this is my list of Fish I want to have in my 500.Some may or may not make it in there depending on aggression and compatability,but I will try to find them as small(within reason) and healthy as possible.So that they can grow in my tank.The only fish I would be to worried about is the Angelfish being too aggressive.

1.Jeweled eel(allready have)
2.Orange Toadfish(allready have)
3.Niger trigger(allready have) would like 1-2 more.
4.Pair Blue throats
5.Pair Crosshatches
6.Pinkthroat trigger
7.Blonde Naso Tang
8.Vlamingi Tang
9.Unicorn tang
10.Achilles Tang
11.Powder Blue tang
12.Purple tang
13.Goldentail ,Brazilian or Hawaiian Dragon eel
14.Regal Angelfish
15.Queen Angelfish
16.Emperor Angelfish
17.Blueface Angelfish
18.Blueringed Angelfish
19.Yellowfaced Angelfish
20.School of Moorish Idol's :)

WDWDen
11/24/2007, 04:52 PM
600 gallons?????? Man-0-Man, my 180 is looking smaller and smaller.

I think smaller humpback whales have nice colors. ;-)

blfuller123
11/24/2007, 06:18 PM
James,

Do you think you will get away with that many angels? I would really like to have a couple of large angels.

46bfinGA
11/24/2007, 06:23 PM
I dunno those I would have to buy small and then I would still be kinda worried. I know Mike Meadows has had 2-3 big ones in his 210 before. It wouldnt hurt my feeling to leave them out though if I had to.I would really like to have a Regal though.

JazzZero
11/24/2007, 09:24 PM
Well ok this fish list is a list that I would use if I had a 600G FOWLR tank like yours:
(Consider the fact this maybe costly)
(Naturally I personally wouldn’t put all of these)
(putting all of them maybe too much)
(The inches are based from your tank size and the aggressiveness)
(these sizes maybe to big)
Angelfish/Butterflyfish
- Queen Angelfish (5-6 inch)
- Blue Face Angelfish (7-8inch)
- French Angelfish (7-8inch Diameter)
- Passer Angelfish (5-6inch)
- Chyrusus Angelfish (7inch)
- Imperator Angelfish (8inch)
- Majestic Angelfish (8-9inch)
- Personifer Angelfish (6inch)
- Regal Angelfish (6+ inches)
- Scribbled Angelfish (6inch)
- Small School of Golden Butterflyfish (5inches each)

Grouper
- Clown Grouper (4-5inch)
- Miniatus Grouper (4-5inch)

Lionfish
- Antennata Lionfish (5-6inch)
- Radiata Lionfish (5-6inch)

Parrotfish
- Princess Parrotfish (5-6inch)

Puffer
- Burr Puffer (5-6inch)
- Porcupine Puffer (5-6inch)

Tang
- Vlamingi Tang (10-12inch)
- Blonde Tang (9-11inch)
- Sohal Tang (7-8inch)
- Unicorn Tang (9-11inch)
- Achilles Tang (7-8inch)

Triggerfish
- Clown Triggerfish (5-6inch)
- Niger Triggerfish (8inch)
- Black Triggerfish (8inch)

Wrasse
- Harlequin Tusk (6-7inch)
- Green Bird Wrasse (5-7inch)

P.S this is my reply from another stocking forum

krj-1168
11/24/2007, 11:27 PM
Actually you could mix and match.

By that I mean - have a shark & a ray with some colorful tank mates. Naturally - Angels, Triggers, & puffers are out of the question.

But you could keep a shark & ray with groupers, eels and tangs - without much problems.

here's some attractive possibilities.

- Shark - Coral Catshark, Whitespotted Bamboo, or Epaulette.

- Ray - Cortez, yellow, Bullseye or Blue-spotted (D. kuhlii) .

- Eel - Snowflake, Banana Moray, Goldentail moray, Chain-link, or Jewel moray.

- Grouper - basically your choices - most species do well, some are quite colorful

-Tangs - again basically your choice - more are fairly colorful.

46bfinGA
11/24/2007, 11:52 PM
Forgot about a Harlequin Tusk on my list.I want one of those Australian tusk so bad.

blfuller123
11/25/2007, 08:52 AM
krj-1168-I might just have to do this. I still love the shark/ray idea. I guess I will just have to see what I am in the mood for when I get it ready for fish.

clekchau
11/29/2007, 07:58 PM
i have a 600 also and when i was considering a fowlr this was my list:

imperator
blueface
asfur
annularis

sohal
powder blue
blue
purple
sailfin
yellow
vlamingii

lunare wrasse
harlequin tusk
clown trigger

zebra moray

kydsexy
11/30/2007, 10:13 AM
ok 600 gallon dream tank. what goes in it. nothing but insanely aggressives! i want a stonefish/grouper/lion tank. someday. best of luck with your stocking

d_hartke
11/30/2007, 10:27 AM
White tip sharks!!!
Anyone can have Triggers, Lions, Tangs, ......

It would be cool to go with something that only the big boys can have. I don't know a lot about them because my tank couldn't handle them, but they are cool.
Triggers and angles are always nice to look at. I would start off with small fish and let them grow in your tank.

clekchau
11/30/2007, 07:23 PM
ummm i think white tip sharks get over 10 feet long lol

TheSaltwaterGuy
12/01/2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, definitely no Whitetips. They exceed 7' in length. Just make sure you forget about triggers, puffers and angels if you decide to do sharks and rays. ;)