PDA

View Full Version : Which T5 fixture is better? Aquactinics or TekLight?

PuffersKick
11/24/2007, 09:30 AM
The "Contellation" by Aquactinics.

Constellation (http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/72-Constellation.html)

OR

The "Tek Light" by Sunlight Systems?

Tek Lighs (http://www.specialty-lights.com/960020.html)

Two advantages for me for the Aquacintics are the built in fans and that is comes in a 72" version for my 72" tank. With the Teks I'd have to buy two 36" and place them side by side.

But as far as reflectors and quality which fixture is better?

ronhjr
11/24/2007, 10:18 AM
Im looking to get rid of my MH, cause they are expesive to run and throw off too much heat, and may purchase this T-5 Fixture for my 180 gallon reef ( 6ft long )

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+16770&pcatid=16770

Lumamae
11/24/2007, 11:16 AM
I would go with the Constellation just because they look so cool and has the active fan cooling. Also, you can install the Constellation to sit on top of your tank with the mounting brackets. If you're going to go with 2 separate hoods anyways, that means you have to hang them from the ceiling, I would look into the ATi Powermoduls as another choice.

Just be sure to get the ATi or UVL bulbs for your Constellation as they are currently the best performance bulbs available. Speaking of bulbs, I think the Tek with the right bulbs will probably do better than the Constellation with the stock AquaZ bulbs. JMHO Make sure you get free s/h/i with the Constellation to offset that crazy price increase they just had.

chem-e
11/24/2007, 12:06 PM
The constellations are much better than the teklights. Especially since it has a slim design, it'll look really sweet if you hang the fixture.

I've been using a Teklight for the last few years and there isn't anything i'd replace it with other than the Powermodules, but those are just too expensive. I like the Aquactinics, but they don't have a slim design for smaller fixtures.

oct2274
11/24/2007, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11244855#post11244855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronhjr
Im looking to get rid of my MH, cause they are expesive to run and throw off too much heat, and may purchase this T-5 Fixture for my 180 gallon reef ( 6ft long )

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+16770&pcatid=16770

don't even think about switching from Halide to T5HO unless you are getting a fixture with individual reflectors. I believe the pro series has individual reflectors, but the regular extreme does not and would not be a good choice at all.

CruzinKim
11/24/2007, 01:17 PM
No, I agree, Everyone will discourage you from getting the Nova Extremes unless you have a fish only tank and never plan to switch to mixed reef or reef.

jman77
11/24/2007, 01:29 PM
Go ATI .... they perform well and look dam sexy

IPT
11/25/2007, 03:18 AM
I have the TX5. I like it. It's not "sleek", but I think it looks nice. It has individual reflectors and from what I have read on RC it blows away the TEK. The active cooling (fan) is real quiet too. I wouls think the fixture your looking at would be good too. I do know that a lot of people were waiting for the ATI fixture to come out when I got mine. It might deserve a look.

cubanheat1
11/25/2007, 09:13 AM
If i am setting up a 75g mixed reef with mostly sps and lps such as montis,acans,blastos,brains,and a few acros.Would you guys go with the 48" unit with 8 or 6 x 54w?

cubanheat1
11/25/2007, 09:14 AM
Meaning the tek light, of course

barjam
11/25/2007, 09:37 AM
cubanheat1, I am keeping what is on your list under 4x54 (IceCap SLR reflectors) and plan two add just two more bulbs. I don't think I could fit 8 with the SLR reflectors over mine, what unit allows 8 over a 75 with good reflectors?

CruzinKim
11/25/2007, 10:00 AM
ch1, i think you can only fit 6x54w 15.75" over a 75g standard tank, 8 bulbs 19.5" would be hanging over the front & back. if you don't mind the lighthood stricking out past the front & back, then go for it.

atvdave
11/25/2007, 10:17 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/56970aquam6.JPG

There's my vote. I have never had any problems with mine.

And for personal reasons only... I wouldn't buy a toothpick from SLS.

CruzinKim
11/25/2007, 10:36 AM
do you have to remove entire lighthood to work on your tank, like spot feeding? what i personally like about the teklights is that they're on legs and you can slide them back out of the way to do water changes and spot feeding.

Potsy
11/25/2007, 10:44 AM
I have the Aquactinics TX5 with the same brackets and it can easily slide back for quick access to the tank.

atvdave
11/25/2007, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11250436#post11250436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CruzinKim
do you have to remove entire lighthood to work on your tank, like spot feeding?

No.. I just slide the lights back. It gives you plenty of room to do what ever you want.

Logzor
11/25/2007, 11:30 AM
I have had a tek light for about three weeks now. I have been very impressed with the amount of light it produces as well as the aesthetics of fixture on my tank.

The light stays very cool. I am not sure why people are saying that active cooling doubles the par. From what I have read this conclusion has only come from one person. There seemed to be some personal bias against reefgeek, which has fantastic service by the way.

It must be a myth because my light sits 4 inches above my tank and the reflectors are practically cool enough to touch. I am no expert, so what else could be different that would change the par rating, besides the fact that the tx5 has 5 bulbs.

I would not be discouraged about the tek light from what you have read on RC. I think people have gotten caught up about active cooling. I could be wrong about the benefits but I am just speaking from my own personal experience.

specialreef
11/25/2007, 11:42 AM
Tag along.

CruzinKim
11/25/2007, 11:45 AM
Logzor, just earlier this year, the SLS Teklight was the latest and greatest, especially the limited edition 6x54w unit. As I understand from correspondence with SLS directly, they are in the midst of switching all their reflectos on their standard units to the Tek2 reflectors that was on the LE. So, you would think that all standard units are the latest and greatest, but how fast that changes. I see so many slams now against SLS and saying because they don't have active cooling. In discussing T5 lighting with our local dealer, he says that it all depends on what you're keeping, whether you need active cooling or not. Also, he had SLS Teklight on their display tank and you are right, I was able to touch the bulbs and although hot, I could hold onto them and not get burned. Then they were running the Teklight without an acrylic shield and about 3 or 4 inches above the waterline.

Also, the slam wasn't against ReefGeek, it was against SLS because of one employee, who I think is no longer with the company.

sherm71tank
11/25/2007, 11:47 AM
I can't speak for the Constellation but I purchased a Tek light and was VERY disappointed with it. The light output was pathetic. I ended up selling it for a loss. It did run very cool and was well built. I just don't think they use proper ballasts to drive the t-5 bulbs to their potential.

CruzinKim
11/25/2007, 11:51 AM
s71, you need the t5 solarflare, it's the only fixture i'm aware of that uses the IceCap ballasts with overdrive.