PDA

View Full Version : Nano Cube 28 gallon HQI

Stingray12
11/24/2007, 12:51 PM
anyone here have any experience with these?

Stingray12
11/24/2007, 12:52 PM
Hey Nano-Reef hobbyist, the 28g Nano-Cube HQI is now here! Nanotuners has the largest allocation of JBJ HQI 28s in the entire USA; you can take that to the bank. The new 28g JBJ HQI lighting system provides great lighting over your nano, but what if you're looking for just a little more? Our modded 28g Nano-Cube HQI with 2x18w actinic PCs will help bring out the brilliant colors in your corals and allow for a sunrise/sunset lighting schedule hassle-free, no installation required!

Stingray12
11/24/2007, 12:53 PM
Just go to www.nanotuners.com

InLimbo87
11/24/2007, 01:07 PM
Lol although that was a nice sales pitch, I think he's asking for personal experience's with the setup.

Stingray12
11/24/2007, 02:16 PM
Ya im asking personal experiences. Is it worth the money?

Bmgrocks
11/24/2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't do it, There is pretty much a guarantee you'd have to get a Chiller, its an Enclosed MH system, I'd rather save money on something else

Another option would be the Aquapod 24, I have it and love it, you save on the Chiller, and it has the 150w MH option...

$300 dollars for a chiller,
$300 dollars in this Hobby......think of the opportunities...

There are people who love them, but I recently read a thread where his NC28 exploded....haven't seen an AP thread like that yet

Good luck

zma21
11/24/2007, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11246399#post11246399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bmgrocks

There are people who love them, but I recently read a thread where his NC28 exploded....haven't seen an AP thread like that yet

Good luck

That sure as hell doesn't mean that an aqua pod won't explode either. :rolleyes:

I'll take the finish of a nanocube over an aquapod any day.

seapug
11/24/2007, 09:17 PM
Now you can hear from someone who actually owns one. I'm also the guy who had the one that exploded. I got a replacement.

Apart from the exploding episode it's a great tank. The cracking thing was a freak accident. JBJ said it was the first hey had heard of it with new tanks. Who knows. You can get struck by lightning or hit by a car or killed in a terrorist attack, but I still walk around outside.

I've had no temperature issues with mine, even with the nanotuners actinic retrofit. The sump/filtration design makes it very easy to set up a refugium without having to plumg separate tanks, etc.-- take out the "box" put live rock and chaeto in it and point a light. Done. I keep 3 BTAs and 7 clams in mine along with some zoas, a pair of maroon clowns and a yashe goby and pistol shrimp. Everything is doing fanstastic.

Even with the cracking episode, I'd still recommend them to someone who's interested in an All-in-One tank.

Proof is in the pudding:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/picklethepug/nc2_1.jpg

Ocean In A Box
11/24/2007, 11:10 PM
seapug-
Really, really NICE looking tank!
Love the avatar...I have a pug, but it hates the water. ;)

seapug
11/25/2007, 12:16 AM
thanks.

Yeah, pugs rule, but you're right. They aren't swimmers but mine love watching the tanks.

Crossbow
11/25/2007, 11:58 AM
That's a great looking tank Seapug! What temp does it run at with the mods to the lighting? I am considering the same tank, and I am choosing between the HQI and the HQI w/mods.

Thanks!

Crossbow

seapug
11/25/2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks. The hottest mine has ever gotten was 80 but it typically stays around 78- perfect, IMO. Don't know how, but it does.

I do keep it in a finished basement of my non-AC house where all my tanks are, but it does stay cooler than my open top 90 with 2 X 150W MH that's in the next room. The way the hood vents on these things is pretty genius.

Seadoc
11/26/2007, 07:10 AM
Great tank Seapug. Did you add any fans to the back to keep the temp down?

seapug
11/26/2007, 11:20 AM
nope, all stock.

zimmy1979
11/26/2007, 06:46 PM
I do have it and to keep the temp at 80 I had to include a chiller (1/20 hp). I guess it depends on where you live and the location of your tank but for the most part I would say you will need a chiller more often then not. The tank itself is a really nice tank and I would buy another one if it was a bit cheaper. I have a fuge on the back and with 5 gallon weekly water changes I can keep everything which is quickly outgrowing the space provided (I am pruning my Xenia like crazy).

Crossbow
11/29/2007, 07:30 PM
Do the actinics take away from the "shimmering" effect of the MH?
Thanks!

seapug
12/05/2007, 06:06 PM
no, the actinics don't effect the metal halide shimmering at all-- just add a little color to the livestock.

eaglesrx
12/07/2007, 10:19 PM
Love the tank Seapug!!

Here's some pics of mine (after only a month->transitioned from my 1st generation JBJ 24gallon of 3 years to this one):

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/beastierx04/184_8403.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/beastierx04/184_8401.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/beastierx04/183_8400_r1.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w320/beastierx04/183_8399_r1.jpg

For more pics, here's my picasa site: http://picasaweb.google.com/phupharmacy/Nanocube28g20kRadium?authkey=O3lf_JEhSP8

My temps are easily controlled by my Azoo fan from Dr. Foster's. With my controller, my temp runs at 78. This is with running my MH for 9.5 hours a day.

I absolutely love this tank. I had the 1st generation JBJ 24gallon nanocube for almost 3 years before switching to this 28gallon. After talking to some very well respected nano guys on nano-reef and here, if you follow the rules on keeping your tank level and stable, there should have been no cracking issues even with the 1st gen (assuming that it survived shipping). The new one has thicker glass. However, I believe you still have to maintain basic stability rules for supporting a tank.

What does everyone use for flow? I only changed out the pumps to MJ1200's. I got a Tunze nano, but found it to be too much flow. I was thinking about the Koralia Nano. A couple of guys on nano-reef have got it in theirs.

Once again, love this tank. I used to run a 150W sunpod on my old one. However, the MH canopy on the 28g brings the bulb much closer to my SPS. But, I made a newbie move and didn't acclimate my corals correctly to the higher PAR levels in the new tank and subsequently shocked some of my corals. Luckily, the colors are starting to come back.

seapug
12/10/2007, 12:49 PM
thanks, eaglesrx-- yours is looking good too. I'm trying to avoid clutter and powerhead dangers with the nems, so I just use the factory pumps and wavetimer on a 30 second cycle for circulation. The anemones and clams really seem to like it and things are staying clean. I always try to keep all aquascaping away from the tank walls to prevent dead zones where junk builds up.

The cracking thing was a manufacturing fault. I had it on a leveled JBJ stand on a concrete floor. I also setup the aquascape with a plastic eggcrate base on the bottom so the weight of the rocks would be distributed evenly. I don't know how I could have followed the rules much closer than that. It's an issue that JBJ has known about on the their earlier tanks but hadn't been seen on the new ones yet. It's something related to the bended corners on the glass. The original tank was sent back to them and they told me they would send me an email when they determined what the cause was.

I'm not saying this to dissuade anyone from getting one-- I like the tank and would recommend it to others. The chances of it happening to someone are slim, but obviously not impossible. I didn't notice any defects when I set up the tank, but I would recommend giving one a thorough inspection and keeping an eye on it for the first couple weeks. I've heard there are often tell-tale small cracks that start on the top edges of the inside of the glass near the corners.

jdokos
12/10/2007, 12:56 PM
seapug - LOVE your tank. I am thinking of setting one of these up in the new year. I live atlanta, so I am pretty sure I will need a chiller.

Can you tell me what type of clown hosts the RBTA in the pick? It is a beautiful specimen.

seapug
12/10/2007, 01:13 PM
thanks. If your house is air-conditioned in the summer I'd wait and see how it runs before you drop $400 on a chiller. They are expensive huge energy hogs. They also generate a lot of heat in the air of the room, which can make them even more inefiicient. Putting a window AC unit where the tank is cheaper and can provide cumfort for you as well. Just something to think about... Wedging the top open an inch or so can do a lot to improve evaporative cooling as well.

The clowns are Gold Stripe Maroons. They do love their bubble tip nems.

jdokos
12/10/2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try it without a chiller first...what type of additives do you use? Do you have a calcium reactor?

seapug
12/10/2007, 02:22 PM
no additives. Just weekly 2-3 gallon water changes with NSW or homemade reef crystals spiked with Tech M. I add a little baking soda to the topoff water for Alkalinity maintenance. Filtration is a small bag of Chemi-pure and macroalgae and rocks kept on 24/7 lighting in the rear compartment.

mydumname
12/10/2007, 06:18 PM
Is it possible to run a sump with these tanks? I saw someone mentioned a fuge on the tank, was wondering if you could put something below and how?

Thanks,

Greg

seapug
12/10/2007, 07:08 PM
I think others have done it but you'd probably have to drill it or install a super tiny overflow siphon. Maybe someone else will chime in...

aaronpentz
12/10/2007, 07:42 PM
There is really no need for a sump unless you want to put a larger skimmer on it. But I know that the CPR small HOB auqafuge will fit on the back of the tank.I also know that the Remora will fit but the pump is a little hard to get in the back chamber. The only other reason to add a sump is to add water quantity. But if your just going to put a sump on it you might as well buy a reef ready tank.

I love my tank I do have the overheating problem that is going around but a small pc fan on the back chamber and no problems yet. I have the fan and heater connected to a dual channel temp controller and its also a variable speed fan. the fan at full speed can bring the tank temp down to 70 deg if i let it. I used to have the fan on a timer but ran into a large temp swing as the fan would remove too much heat (before I had a heater).

Sway_A_Way
12/10/2007, 11:05 PM
nice tank seapug.

we also have a pug, and he is a fish!! absolutly loves the pool, we have a life vest for him and everything. If we even come close to saying the words "wanna go swimming?" he cocks his head and runs to the back door. funny stuff...

erichatesmice
12/12/2007, 06:34 PM
I had one for about a month. I also had a Nanocube 12gb and I currently have a Zero Edge with LED lighting.

Pros:

- Light is great. That was my first time with MH... very bright, great shimmer, well constructed, and I especially like how MH slowly fades on. Moonlight is also nice.

- My unit at the very least seemed solidly built. No scratches on glass (not acrylic), no odd smell.

- Rear compartment is easily configurable. I replaced the pumps (easy if you have small hands) and fitted an Aqua C Remora in place of the built-in skimmer (which I never used).

Cons:

- Loud, in my opinion. But then again, for me, anything louder than Panaflo is loud.

- Moonlights weren't wired up properly. I had to get into the hood (easy) in order to wire them up.

- Temps... yes it's true you might need a chiller. I live in Emeryville (by San Francisco) right next to the Bay. 99% of the year it never gets above 80 degress. The temperature of my tank went from 78 morning to 84 end of the day.

Overall, I say it is a pretty good all-in-one setup, just not for me. I say it's worth it for the price.

martinphillip03
12/13/2007, 10:55 PM
It looks like a great tank to me. Nice flow, bright lightss if you want to keep sps or clams. You might have to add a chiller but how many MH tanks have them. really nothing has to be upgraded.

Marty

scottydo
12/18/2007, 03:31 PM
I have one too - love it. My build thread is here - Clicky. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1234822)

You do not need a chiller but you should run at least a fan. I ran a fan for about a week before I got the chiller and the temp hardly fluctuated at all with just a simple fan. The only drawback of the fan is increased evaporation - which is the same thing you get with an open top tank.