PDA

View Full Version : skimmer on QT

Burbs
11/24/2007, 08:58 PM
Should i have a skimmer on my QT?

anthworks
11/24/2007, 09:05 PM
If you have one use it. IF you dont its not that big a deal since the fish will only be in the QT a short time. Make sure to check the QT for ammonia and maybe Nitrate. Watch your PH as well.

A

Aquarist007
11/24/2007, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11247983#post11247983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anthworks
If you have one use it. IF you dont its not that big a deal since the fish will only be in the QT a short time. Make sure to check the QT for ammonia and maybe Nitrate. Watch your PH as well.

A

I guarantine everything I buy 4-6 weeks--if that's what you mean by a short time.

If you don't have a skimmer run a hob filter for a week for so off of the main tank then hook it up to the qt--you should be good to go then.
I have some live rock in my sump---I always put a piece of that in the qt---as long as I am observing and or hyposalinating--the rock will cycle back to the adjustments in salinity. If I had to use a chemical then I would remove the live rock first or it is toast. :)

2frosty4u
11/24/2007, 10:14 PM
When I'm using my QT, I fill it using the water from my display tank from doing a water change . I do weekly water changes so every week I remove half the QT water and flush it down the drain and then top it off from the display tank water change again. that way my new fish get used to the water they are going to end up in full time,

350nine
11/25/2007, 12:24 AM
I use a skimmer in my QT's which is 25g + 25g plumbed inline. The only problem is that when you need to medicate you need to check levels often to make sure the skimmer is not skimming medication out. The skimmer also tend to not work right with some medications. For example, when I dose with Maracyn I get a lot of micro bubbles to the point where I need to turn off the skimmer. I think a skimmer is a great way to maintain water quality in a QT tank or (especially) a hospital tank since the fishes are most likely already stressed and need all the help they can get. Clean water is a great start.