PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Tree Struggling

Crackerballer
11/25/2007, 09:50 AM
Well I have had the tree about 2 weeks now. I added it and it plumped right up and looked great. Move forward to about Thursday of this week and it is slumped over. Now it looks like it will die soon, it is shrivled over pretty bad. It is getting plenty of flow and light (although I know its not photosynthetic)

My water parameters are all really good, and I just did a water change. My only conclusion is that it is starving to death. I added some calcium and iodine last night before I went to bed. Any suggestions on what else I should do?

Mare100
11/25/2007, 03:36 PM
Hi Cracker...

Wish I could be of more help, but my huge beautiful KTree just up and died on me and I can't for the life of me figure out why... :-(. It was one of my first corals and I heard these guys are so darned hardy.

Mine used to "shrivel" up for long periods at a time. A few times I thought it was a goner, but if I just let it go...it always bounced back and reopened.

One time there was a little snail latched onto the side of it and as soon as I got the snail off...it opened up again. Another time, there was a sponge growing around the base which it didn't seem to like. I scraped it off and he was fine. Why he decided to die on me now....I have no idea. Luckily...during it's life...it "reproduced" many times and we've got lots of pieces of the original growing in both our tanks now.

As for feeding....I might get scolded for this...but I don't directly feed my corals. I add some Phytoplex to the tank once in awhil (maybe once a month). Our LFS owner said that the corals will get their nutrients directly from the water and shouldn't need feeding. I know this isn't true with all corals...but all of ours seem to be doing fine with this method after a year.

Good luck!

M

Crackerballer
11/25/2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Mare. I just cut some branches off and glued them to some frag rocks I had. I am not gonna get rid of it just yet. The guy I got the tree from didn't feed anything, just had a calcium reactor.

I hope it comes back, it is such a good looking coral.

dendro982
11/30/2007, 07:46 AM
Try place some frags in different places, preferably in the flow.