PDA

View Full Version : Do Sexy Shrimp ever go after Zoanthids?

10" Red Devil
11/25/2007, 01:19 PM
Have you ever known a sexy shrimp to munch on Zoanthids?

I am having a problem with my zoo's being closed pretty much all of the time and having their stalks really stretched looking.

The water quality is very good.

SG (measured with HQ Milwaukee refractometer) 1.027 Red Sea Salt
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0 Red Sea Test Kit
Nitrite 0.5 with Red Sea Test Kit (I think the kit must be bad though)
Nitrate below 5ppm Red Sea Kit
Need to get a new po4 kit.
Temp 79-81

The tank is a 14 Gallon biocube with a upgraded Maxijet 900 pump, Tunze Nano Skimmer, Refugium with Chaeto.

It is funny because I have several LPS, mushrooms, Sinularia, Gorgonian that are doing great!

I suspected there might be a zoo eating nudi but I have not been able to see one. All of my zoos were dipped in zoo dip before they went into the tank and if there were zoo eating nudibranchs wouldn't they go after the mushrooms and sinularia too?

I will admit that I had not done a water change in probably 6 months until the last 2 weeks when I did a half gallon each week to try and get back on schedule without shocking things too much. I have always buffered the tank for PH, elements, alk, calcium though.

The tank probably has 9 lbs live rock, 3.5-4" Oolitic sandbed.

Other live in the tank are 3 hermits, 5-6 nessarius snails, 4-5 astrea snails, 2 fish a green banded goby and false percula clown.

Well that is about all I can think of to be helpful for now. Sorry in advance if I left anything out but there is a lot here.

Tennsquire
11/25/2007, 01:57 PM
I would think that there's an issue with you zoanthids. Shrimp are opportunistic feeders (scavengers), and they're probably attracted to dead or decaying tissue on your zoanthids. Do you feed the shrimp? If they're hungry enough, I would imagine that they would go after anything.

10" Red Devil
11/25/2007, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11251490#post11251490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tennsquire
I would think that there's an issue with you zoanthids. Shrimp are opportunistic feeders (scavengers), and they're probably attracted to dead or decaying tissue on your zoanthids. Do you feed the shrimp? If they're hungry enough, I would imagine that they would go after anything.

I feed the tank. Too much possibly. I have never witnessed the shrimp munching on the zoanthids. I have noticed it perched on some though. I wonder if maybe I shouldn't try taking it out of the tank and quarantining it for a week or so in the back chambers.

10" Red Devil
11/26/2007, 11:36 AM
bump

LobsterOfJustice
11/26/2007, 12:56 PM
They might close up from the shrimp walking on them, but they sould re-open once they leave. I had some in with zoas and they were fine.

10" Red Devil
11/26/2007, 01:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11257492#post11257492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
They might close up from the shrimp walking on them, but they sould re-open once they leave. I had some in with zoas and they were fine.

I dunno they have been closed up for weeks now.