PDA

View Full Version : I need recommendations for improving a euro-reef.

specialreef
11/25/2007, 02:10 PM
I own a Euro-reef RS80, but this thing is always gives me headaches. I could never,ever get it to stay running properly for longer than an hour. I cant recall ever having it running right.
I do alot of water changes to make up for the lack of skimming and still want to believe in this skimmer for some reason.Its a constant battle. Im ready to give up on it, is there anything yall suggest so i stop spending so much time playing/adjusting w/this skimmer.

problems:
I cant keep bubbles coming out the riser into my sump.(no matter how i adjust the air intake and riser)

I cant keep the bubbles in skimmer neck in constant height.

PrivateJoker64
11/25/2007, 02:17 PM
If the water level in your sump fluctuates, even a little, it will cause problems like you describe.

specialreef
11/25/2007, 02:23 PM
what about when im dealing with it like three consecutive hours the same day? Ive read one time about water surface and level fluctuating causes skimmers to go wild. So ive kept that in mind.
Its more than that in this case i assume.

wrott
11/25/2007, 02:45 PM
Have you tried cleaning the air intake nipple where the pump connects to the skimmer.
Take a small wire and make sure that is fully open.
I also have the RS80, and this is the only place I have a problem with--sounds like your situation. Mine runs nicely--I hope yours will.

specialreef
11/25/2007, 03:06 PM
I will double check. Now that i think about it, how high is the water level with you sump/skimmer?

wrott
11/25/2007, 03:25 PM
I just measured it at 8.5" of water in sump.
I keep it between 6-8" normally.
I have had to poke out the intake w/ a stiff wire to get it to perform properly.

hahnmeister
11/25/2007, 03:30 PM
Try replacing the pump... a Quiet One 3000 modded like a Sicce pump might work well for you.

specialreef
11/26/2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the help?
What is the modifications i have to make to the Quiet one pump? What is a Sicce pump?

hahnmeister
11/26/2007, 03:34 PM
There are some threads around here on those pumps. The Sicce PSK2500 is the pump that ATI bubblemasters use. The Quiet One 3000 is a similar pump also made by Sicce, just for Pentair Aquatics. They are both 40 watts, have the same volute cover, etc... they are cousins.

To mod the QO3000, you need to enlarge the inlet (with a dremel), then remove the blades on the impeller leaving a flat disk. Then, drill the disk with holes, and attach 2-3 layers of enkamat 7010 about the diameter of the disk to the impeller via fishing line (monowire) or zip-ties. Then, a venturi... I use 1/2" PVC which happens to have the perfect ID (15mm) for this pump.

Its a $40-50 pump, with minimal mods, and its dead silent. You can get up to 1000lph with it, but you can restrict the air intake and the turbulence doesnt shoot up like with other pumps.