PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera recommendations for macro tank shots

JFristoe
11/25/2007, 02:37 PM
I currently own a Nikon Coolpix 4100 digital camera. While it is perfectly fine for taking normal pics, it is severly lacking when taking Macro shots of my 75 gallon tank. I think part of it is not having manual focus but i'm not a camera guy (do plan on taking photography lessons however). I did some looking at Newegg.com (great customer service when I had to return things) and saw some digital SLR cameras. Are the SLR digitals worth the extra money for Macro tank shots? Granted, I don't want to spend $1000 on a camera, but realize I may need to spend more than $200-$300. Help?

gregr
11/25/2007, 03:57 PM
An entry level dslr and a macro lens will run you about thousand bucks right there. With the camera and macro lens you will be able to get excellent macro shots once you learn the basics. Eventually (soon, most likely) you'll want an everyday lens, a tripod, perhaps a flash, extra battery, coupla flashcards... it adds up quick. The upside though is far greater creative potential and control.
But there are several good point and shoot digital cameras that have excellent macro performance. Take a look at the specs-- in particular you want to take note of the minimum focus distance. The closer the camera can focus on something the better the macros, generally speaking. A lot of cameras nowadays have the ability to focus on something that is only a centimeter away. The downside is they can only do that with the lens zoomed out to the widest angle. Compact cameras like the Canon S5 IS or the Olympus SP-560 (there are others too) have very long zooms and super macro too plus they're not too expensive.

JFristoe
11/25/2007, 05:31 PM
Any input as to which macro lens would best serve? I'm looking at the Canon Rebel XTi.

gregr
11/25/2007, 05:35 PM
Best would be the Canon 100mm macro lens. Sigma makes an alternative that is supposed to be pretty good. Canon also makes a 50mm macro lens that is about half the price- it's supremely sharp like most macro lenses but only does 1:2 (half lifesize) magnification whereas most other macro lenses do 1:1 magnification. Canon makes a couple of other macro lenses that are much more expensive (65 and 180) but I'd recommend getting the 100 and working on your technique before getting one of the other lenses.

Phyl
11/25/2007, 06:59 PM
IMO more important than the minimum focus distance is the reproduction size. I'd rather a lens that had a MFD of 12" and a reproduction of 1:1 than a MFD of 4" and a reproduction of 1:2.

aztbs
11/25/2007, 11:00 PM
I give a thumbs up to the Canon Xti with the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I have been shooting with that combination and love it. A tripod will be required if you want to take decent macro shots with any camera. Or a really tall barstool that you can set the camera on to prevent even the tiniest movement.

This is the only example shot I could find quickly:
http://projectbat.com/Aquarium/robtank/11.jpg