PDA

View Full Version : woohoo! 9015 Kicks it!

glalderman
11/25/2007, 06:58 PM
Finally broke down this weekend and shelled out the $430 for the 9015 skimmer for my 120 (150g total system)...so far I am very happy with it...the first 18 hours it wouldn’t even push foam 1/4 the way up the pipe…but dang…as soon as it started it wont quit! it has been running for 36 hours now and has pulled about 250ml of gunk out of the tank…which is probably about 4 or 5 days or more worth of gunk using my old Octopus skimmer...which was marginal at best…probably inadequate…

Seems impossible that a skimmer so small could work so well!

The only thing I think I should have done different was I should have bought the 9010…as I really want to get the foam extractor…which would have brought the performance of the 9010 to the 9015 for the same price as the 9015 without the extractor…maybe I can find someone that wants a good deal on a 9015 skimmer cup to turn there 9010 into a 9015…hint, hint! :D

Greg

glalderman
11/30/2007, 07:45 PM
Sorry to post again about this...BUT...This skimmer keeps on getting better as it gets broken in better!

my tank is a 120g (150g total system with sump) heavily loaded both in the fish and SPS/LPS...I never saw this type of skimming with my old skimmer...

The pictures below show the skimmate collected in 48 hrs...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/glalderman/Tunze90151.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/glalderman/Tunze90152.jpg

OK...I promise I am done...I won't scream more praises on it any more! :D

Greg

slowsoaks
12/01/2007, 08:37 PM
How do you have the air settings? I have two of these on much larger systems and they haven't produced anything like what you are showing.
Mike

glalderman
12/02/2007, 09:02 AM
The first 3 or 4 days I took the screw completely out...I put it back in a few days ago...it is 5 turns out from closed...

Since it has only been running on my tank for a week now...the amount could just be that my old skimmer wasn't doing much of anything! So I will be interested in seeing over the next few weeks if it still pulls out as much...

KevS
12/03/2007, 12:25 PM
I bought a 9010 for my 150g (total) system and it doesn't produce anything close to that in a week. In fact, after two days I only have about a quarter of an inch of skimmate. I've had it running for about a month now. It took over a week before it produced anything at all. The screw is all the way out and the foam is somewhat thick, meaning that it never liquefies. It just stays suspended on the sides of the cup. It's as if it needs more air but it's already turned up as far as it can go.

The Tunze replaced the midsized Coralife I had and the Coralife filled the cup every two days.

Has anyone else had problems with the Tunze?

Kevin