PDA

View Full Version : why and how do skimmers have a break in period?I

fishquaria
11/26/2007, 04:19 AM
I have tried to find a satisfying answer to this question and have failed... Will be thrilled if someone can answer this!

BeanAnimal
11/26/2007, 06:36 AM
It is likely due to a few reasons:

Surfactants (oils and such) from the raw materials take some time to be washed away. Once that happens a slime coat builds up to cover the internal surfaces.

Paul B
11/26/2007, 06:46 AM
Surfactants (oils and such) from the raw materials take some time to be washed away. Once that happens a slime coat builds up to cover the internal surfaces.

DITTO

If you put a new piece of plastic like a window screen or acrylic it will repel the water. You can just shake off the water.
In time the slime which is mostly bacteria will coat the plastic allowing the water to adhere to the plastic. After this happens, the sides of the container or skimmer have no affect on the bubbles. When it is new, the oils in the acrylic mix with the water causing the surface tension of the bubbles to increase making the film on the bubbles stronger which causes larger bubbles. Larger bubbles are not as efficient in a skimmer because they have less surface area as small bubbles and less waste is collected.
Hows that?

BeanAnimal
11/26/2007, 06:53 AM
Hrmm I guess I could have explained the how, not just they why!

Good work paul :)

fishquaria
11/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Thank you all... big mystery cleared here!!! While not so new to the hobby, just days old with skimmers... hehe... thanks...

CruzinKim
11/26/2007, 11:22 AM
You can speed up the process of removing the production oils from the new acrylic by running your skimmer for about an hour with 10% warm vinegar solution. If you have a skimmer already on your system, your new skimmer can run in a tub of tank water from a tank water change and a 1/2 cup of skimmate from your old skimmer poured into the tub, so your skimmer starts building up the slime coat before you put it onto your display tank.