PDA

View Full Version : Portable water cart - how to move water?

unixbill
11/26/2007, 07:32 AM
How do you move 20 gallons of water around?

I have no water or drain available by my tanks. Currently I use 5 gallon buckets in both directions and it is getting old. I was thinking about a hand truck based water cart. The tanks would need to be sealed to be able to tip over and move them around but have a hole big enough for a pump and servicing. I was thinking about "Gamma Vittles Vault" dog food containers or building wood boxes.

I can get used olive containers for around $35. The dog food containers are about $60. $20 for a hand truck. I don't know what it would cost to build the from wood and waterproof.

With this setup I would eliminate the mixing tank and mix my water directly into this portable tank instead of a mixing tank and then move it.

fyi - I don't pump in both directions because it is not easy to setup or cleanup fifty foot hoses. When I have tried this it is easier to just carry the buckets.

adambaron
11/26/2007, 07:57 AM
You could get a garbage can with wheels. Thats what I use.

Roy G. Biv
11/26/2007, 09:21 AM
I do 44 gallon water changes by the tank. I have a mag 5 pump connected to a garden hose that I stretch across the room to a sink to get rid of the waste water. I coil it up and keep it in the brute can until next time.

thor32766
11/26/2007, 09:47 AM
I have the large brute with wheels works great.

Sk8r
11/26/2007, 09:52 AM
The Rubbermaid Brute trash can has a 'carrier' that sockets into the depressions at the bottom of the can---rolls very nicely. I whisk 30 g of water around as if it were nothing. Costs about 30.00 at Lowes. You may have to ask for it. In my store, the clerks keep them stuck to the bottommost can in the stack.

Use a maxijet with hose to move the water from trash can to tank.

unixbill
11/26/2007, 12:31 PM
One question on the brute cans. How well does the lid seal? I am concerned that water will spill on the carpet as I go from room to room over the carpet to tile transition 1/2" bump. This is my wife's living room carpet and I could get hurt.

I looked at the brute cans but they are very big around. I was trying to find something that can stand in the corner of the laundry room and not take up too much space. I need two of them. Two 20 gallon brute cans with wheels would be way too much - almost 3'x6' footprint. I need something small and tall. My whole room is only five feet wide. Round cans get very large. Compare a 20 rectangular tank to a 20 gallon round can. If I had a tank the size of two tens stacked on end it would be about 13"x10". Two of these would fit nicely in the spot that now has a regular 20 gallon mix tank. Which is about all of the room I have. Currently I can just squeeze by the mix station to get to dog food every night. I will post a picture to give you some idea.

Thanks for the response.

LobsterOfJustice
11/26/2007, 12:45 PM
There is a glass tank called a 20 XH (extra high) that has the footprint of a 10g. They aren't very common though.

I use the brutes. The lid doesnt seal very tight, but it will prevent splashing. I move mine over bumps etc no problem.