PDA

View Full Version : RO Filter with no waste?

46bfinGA
11/26/2007, 08:44 AM
Is there one out there? Are the Di only units the only ones? Im going to be filling my 800 gallon system up in the near future and dont want to flood my neighborhood with my waste water from my Typhoon 3. Not to mention the water restrictions here in Ga. I have a 275 gallon SW mixing tank as well that I dont want to use my typhoon on either.

Are Di only filters GOOD enough to fill my system? My incoming TDS at home is around 23ppm.

46bfinGA
11/26/2007, 08:56 AM
How about the twin Di filter from Air Water & Ice?

jerryz
11/26/2007, 10:43 AM
not 0 waste but spctrapure has a 1:1

tkeracer619
11/26/2007, 10:53 AM
No waste pumps the waste water into the hot water heater.

I know several reefers here who use strait DI and have nice tanks. I would think it could be done since our water is ~250 out of the tap.

I run a dual membrane RO from air & ice that gets a pretty good waste to ro production.

Does DI kill bacteria?

svb57
11/26/2007, 10:57 AM
If your incoming water is at 23ppm then I would see no reason not to set up a dual inline DI setup.

Reason I state this is the water going into my RO units is around 450 TDS and after is 22 TDS. The assumption I am making is that 22 TDS reading is 22ppm. The water leaving the DI unit is 0 TDS.

If thats is the case then I would think that you could for go using the RO unit.

One question I do have is where do you get your water from that has only 23 ppm?

Jim Mc

46bfinGA
11/26/2007, 10:59 AM
I cant pump 2400 gallons of water in my water heater :) But thanks for the suggestion. Im not looking for suggestions for what to do with waste water. I want to have a filter that has none. I guess my Question is can I get by with DI only to fill up my tank initially and can I use DI only to fill my 275 gallon tank for water changes. Then I will just use my RO/DI for auto top-off.

46bfinGA
11/26/2007, 11:01 AM
One question I do have is where do you get your water from that has only 23 ppm?

Jim Mc [/B]

Straight out of the tap. Ball Ground , Georgia :)

AZDesertRat
11/26/2007, 08:47 PM
The closest thing is the new Ultra High Efficiency system from Spectrapure. It has a true 1:1 waste ratio. DI only has its drawbacks as it is not especially efficient at nitrates, phosphates and silicates. Even at 23 TDS it will still require either frequent replacements or frequent regenerations with toxic chemicals like acid and lye. Regenerating it yourself requires you to keep seperate cation and anion resin beds and they are proven to be not as effective as mixed bed resins.
I would bite the bullet and go RO/DI myself as it has the best water quality, least amount of maintenance and lowest long term cost.

And you lucky souls in GA make me sick:eek: My water here in Phoenix is 835 out of the tap! I will be installing a Spectrapure UHE in the next week or so myself and use their MaxCap system now and love it.