PDA

View Full Version : Tunze nanostream vs maxijet??

GPCRalph
11/26/2007, 10:13 AM
Hello,

I have a 40gal breeder and would like to buy a powerhead for it but I am not sure which one to go with. I have read good things about the Maxijet with new mods/upgrade kits but am not sure what size pump I would need. The Tunze nanostreams looks a bit nicer and less bulky but it seems some reviewers do not like them due to being flimsy. What are your experiences or what do you reccomend? I have also looked at the Hydor Koralia but they don't seem as durable and I couldn't find much info on the Seio's. Please let me know,

Rafael

gastone
11/26/2007, 10:46 AM
I use both an unmodded 6025 and a sureflow 1600 on a maxi 900 in my 42 hex. Both are nice products IMO. The maxi mod definitely puts out more flow than the 6025. I would say >1000gph. However it is more unsightly than the tunze. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood) with the clips on the tunze. Mounting the maximod is a bit of a pain and not as flexible as the tunze. Of course you can get the magnet option with sureflow (or DIY), but then the costs jumps quite a bit.

IMO you can't go wrong with either one.

Try one of each and go from there if you develop a liking for one over the other. You won't have any trouble selling them locally or on RC, they both hold their value quite well.

GL

Garrett.

GatorWPB
11/26/2007, 07:06 PM
The simple mod for the Tunze 6025 is easy to do and jumps the flow up to over 1000 gph, one estimate is 1200 gph. the Sureflow kit makes the maxi jet 1600 gph.
I have 2 modded 6025s and a sureflow 1600 on a MJ1200.
Cant go wrong with either, the tunze is a bit smaller and the new clamps wont break as easy. The sureflow starts right up, the tunze i have to help get started sometimes.