PDA

View Full Version : looking for frozen eating pipes

edshern
11/26/2007, 01:08 PM
anyone know of somebody who is selling pipes trained to frozen foods? I would like to add them to an already existing sh tank.
thanks
ed

LisaD
11/26/2007, 02:28 PM
post here and on the seahorse specialty boards that you are looking to buy. very occasionally, hobbyists raise CB pipes trained to eat frozen. you could also contact some of the collectors in Florida, but there will be no guarantee the pipes will be trained to frozen.

be sure you QT. there is a significant chance of disease being introduced. sometimes, even after QT. this may be due to some syngnathids being symptomless carries of bacterial or other pathogens which are difficult to successfully treat in animals lacking immunity or tolerance.

danfrith
11/26/2007, 09:13 PM
There is a guy in germany who is breeding the bluestripes and im still trying to get my bluestripe fry to live. Maybe in a few months I will have some.

SWSaltwater
11/27/2007, 09:38 AM
the many banded pipes i have been getting in eat frozen from day 1. any of your lfs can get em from LA, avail every 3 weeks or so

TamiW
11/27/2007, 07:59 PM
SWSaltwater, I have had similar experiences with the whole flagtail pipefish group. They seem to take frozen food within a few days at most. I haven't had experiences with blue stripes, but banded, yellow banned, and janns usually do. I offer both cyclopeeze and hikari mysis, and even my really small yellow bandeds could take mysis.

A agree the risk of disease is much greater. I had a few yellow bandeds that were doing so well in quarantine I decided not to treat them for parasites - which I normally would with wild caught syngnathids. In spite of a healthy appetite, the managed to fade away, and it wasn't until one had died I realized there was a problem. (which sucked too, because I think they may have been a pair)

seacraze
11/29/2007, 09:48 AM
I trained my pipes to eat frozen by feeding out the frozen with the live and reducing the amount of live each feeding - within a few days they forgot what live food was --- Its worked for 5 different pairs - good luck

larrynews
11/29/2007, 09:53 AM
i just bought one last week from my lfs never seen them in a lfs before, but it was already eating frozen..maybe i was lucky