PDA

View Full Version : Alright, another I need help with....

gopens
11/26/2007, 07:34 PM
OK now its my turn and I need some help on making a decision between 2 different light setups.

I currently run the Hamilton Deluxe hood with 2x250 metal halid with 2x40 normal output florescents. I love this setup and hood. The only reason I am getting rid of it is because of the old, and I do mean old, magnetic ballast that I can here run from outside of my house. I am not kidding either. Hamilton confirmed that the ballast is at least 11 years old. I have decided to just get a complete new setup for my 48" 90 gallon tank

The first choice I was thinking is doing another Hamilton Deluxe Hood. This time it would be with 2x250 watt HQI and 2x110 vho. Below is info direct from Hamiltons site. The price is normally 839.00 plus 52.00 for shipping. But I can get it for 715.00 plus 52.00 shipping. so the total price would be 767.oo

4' PROTOSTAR 250 WATT 10,000K HQI & FLUORESCENT 110W VHO

48" Deluxe PROTOSTAR unit with 2x250 watt 10,000 Kelvin HQI double ended metal halide lamps with supplemental actinic blue VHOs. The power of HQI lighting with the dawn to dusk effect of actinic blue VHOs. Great choice for all reef tanks, especially those with hard corals, SPS corals, clams, acropora and anemones. Each unit comes with super-brite internal hammertone strip reflector, two cooling fans,UV absorbing tempered glass lens and remote HQI ballasts with quick disconnects. Two double ended 250 watt 10,000K HQI lamps and two actinic blue 110 watt VHO lamps are included in price. Powerful metal halide lighting and actinics that won't be drowned out by the halides. Dawn to dusk effect - one control for the metal halides and one control for the fluorescents. 48"L x 11.5"W x 6.5"H. INCLUDES HAMILTON ELECTRONIC BALLAST UPGRADE FOR VHO BULBS.

Now my other choice is the ATI Powemodule 48" 6x54 T5s. this is some info about the ATIs direct from there site. it looks like a bit more for this unit. About 840.00 total with shiping. This fixture is awesome looking but I am not sure this can beat the above setup from hamilton with the HQIs.

T5 high-output fluorescent lighting system complete with individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb made from silver-coated 98% reflective German-made aluminum, built-in electronic ballasts, active cooling system, acrylic shield, two 10 ft power-cords, sleek, adjustable hanging kit to suspend the unit and choice of bulbs from any of our current selection of high-quality lamps. Superior design and high-end components produce 50% more light than most other equally sized T5 fixtures without using more energy. Fixture is wired with 2 bulbs on one power-cord and the other 4 bulbs on the other allowing for independent control and dawn-dusk simulation. Silver colored, stainless steel body is durable and rust-proof. Runs very cool and produces virtually no noise. Common Sizing Guideline: soft coral tanks up to 150 gallons, mixed reef tanks up to 110 gallons and SPS dominated tanks up to 90 gallons. Recommended Tank Depth: up to 30" with carefully planned placement of corals. Power Consumption: approximately 3.0 Amps. Warranty: 1 year.

Please help me make a decision. I really like the Hamilton setup for the fact its...well... an HQI setup. Plus I currently have a Hamilton Deluxe Hood and love it. But the ATIs look awesome. We can argue the pros and cons all day but what would be your decision. Thanks for any help. I will be ordering my lights in the morning.

gopens
11/26/2007, 08:27 PM
ttt

gopens
11/26/2007, 09:51 PM
alright, i am sorry that i keep bumping this but if you knew how long it took me to type OP you would feel for me.

twon8
11/26/2007, 09:58 PM
of those two i would go with the t5s

gopens
11/27/2007, 08:14 AM
anybody else with a word before i order.

luke33
11/27/2007, 08:26 AM
imo the t5's are much better than the hamilton fixture. For one you'll be able to customize your colors much easier and you will also get more light coverage in your tank. The fixture has active cooling as well as being the best overall t5 fixture available. You'll love it. And i bet your corals will thrive with it as well. The hamilton fixture's have pretty terrible reflectors fwiw.