PDA

View Full Version : Fish babies?!

burdman_22
11/26/2007, 07:45 PM
So, I was just now looking around in my overflow, no reason for looking really, just like to know whats going on in all parts of my tank, but I noticed a little something moving around, figured it was just debris floating around, but I watched for a few minutes. After a couple minutes it seemed to be swimming, not just floating, so I went and grab my handy dandy little red light. There appears to be around 7 little tiny baby fish, or baby somethings atleast, swimming around in my overflow. They are all pale in color, transparent sorta, and only like 5 mm long, maybe 6. In my tank I have two percula clowns, two engineer gobies, shrimp goby, a sand sifting goby, a lawnmower blenny, a cleaner shrimp, and a pistol shrimp. I understand that they could also be baby shrimp, but me and my roommate both think that they resemble fish more than shrimp, although hard to tell. Anyways, I want to know if anyone has advice on how to keep them alive. Problem is I am going on leave for a month, starting tomorrow.....:eek2:

bertoni
11/26/2007, 07:46 PM
I'd guess mysid shrimp. Google might turn up some pictures. If they're baby fish, which I doubt, they might be from the percula, although their nest should have been visible. The engineer goby fish might have spawned, as well. If the animals are around for more than a day or so, they're not likely fish larvae.

burdman_22
11/26/2007, 07:48 PM
How come if they are not around for more than a day?

bertoni
11/26/2007, 07:51 PM
Well, fish larvae tend to be very fragile and should starve to death fairly rapidly in our tanks. They eat only live zooplankton, for the most part, and in a limited size range, at that.

burdman_22
11/26/2007, 07:52 PM
so if they are indeed little fishies then there is pretty much nothing i can do?

bertoni
11/26/2007, 08:02 PM
Not at this point. Raising clownfish larvae is comparatively easy, for a saltwater fish, but it's still an enormous amount of work, and requires a lot of preparation.

burdman_22
11/26/2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, and I am going to be gone for a whole month, so i'll just go ahead and kiss them goodbye