PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Question...

Trandall
11/26/2007, 09:03 PM
Was wondering < and I hope this isn't a stupid question > if it's o.k. to mix different kinds of live rock in the same sytem?

This is to be a Fish & Live Rock only tank, not a full reef system.
Are there compatibility issues with mixing say....Figi Rock with Carribean & Tonga, Melanesian, Marshall Islands, etc.

Is it o.k? Bad idea? Good idea? If you have a big enough tank < 210 gallon> does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Terri Randall

boxerzz
11/26/2007, 09:10 PM
I don't think there is a problem mixing different LRs. Rather it is what can come with the LRs, bothersome critters etc.

ED517
11/26/2007, 09:12 PM
i have a mixed rock tank allmost a year old no problems. adds a little diversity

steven_dean17
11/26/2007, 09:26 PM
As long as you like the look you can use what ever you want. The size of your rock is only limited to the space in your tank and you will be hard pressed to find pieces to big for your tank.

Acillaton
11/26/2007, 09:34 PM
No prob at all. You can mix lr however you want. Its up to your personal choice.

MetalReef9
11/27/2007, 08:18 AM
Mixing rock is great. I personally use Tonga branch, Marshall, Fiji, and shelf rock for ledges. Make sure it's cured before adding it to any existing system. SOme of the nices tanks out there use mixed rocks.